Internal Parasites in African Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I seem to be dealing with internal parasites in my cichlid tank. Noticing some white stringy poo and one of my fish seems to be breathing hard and has stopped eating. Is there a best method to treat the whole tank for parasites, as I think there are several fish with them? It’s a 125 african cichlid tank.

Also, the fish that has stopped eating has seemed to have lost scales on the side of his body. You can see white where they once were. Not sure if he was beaten up or am I dealing with a different issue?

You might be dealing with Malawi Bloat. If so, go with Delapool's suggestion Metroplex.
You mentioned white patches on the fish, be sure to review Columnaris and determine if that applies.

Sounds good. Treat the whole tank with metro? I’ve been putting it in their food recently as well.

I’ve only done whole tank but either would be fine as far as I know. It’s only really the tetracycline group of meds that don’t work well dosing into high ph tanks due to rapid binding to calcium I think it was.

Back
Top Bottom