Internal White Blob near bleeding heart's anus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can anyone identify this white matter that is on the inside of my bleeding heart tetra? It is on the lower abdomen near the anus. There is nothing sticking out. I don't think it is worms even though up close it looks like 3 lines. There is no sign of distress.

I think I am becoming a fish hypochondriac. Last night I could have sworn my dalmation mollie looked more bloated than normal (She isn't pregnant, she is the only mollie and I've had her since early March - So I fed peas). I don't want to do anything harmful if I am just seeing things.

Other info:
20 gallon
3 bleeding heart tetras; 3 platys; 2 coreys; 1 mollie; 1 guppy (I know, schooling fish, don't have space until I get bigger tank); 1 snail

Readings before water change
Ammonia less than .25
N2 - about 2.5 (been struggling with it for some time, after finally fixing ammonia)
N3 - between 15-20
PH - stable at 7.4

Earlier today I did a large water change and vacuumed half the tank. I used pre-primed water and added some directly to the tank. I used stresszyme.

I will attach pictures. I did my best, but apparently fish don't like close-ups.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 86
Second photo

Here is a second pic. For whatever reason, I can only attach one photo per post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 61
Sorry, those pics have come up way to small for me to see much, it's a sign of old age lol. Have you noticed if they are moving? Could be a parasite, hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Guessing as well on where it is :(

Maybe a shot looking down the side of the fish or something. I just can't pick it.

How long has n2 been up? Was it a mini-cycle?

Edit - is your water conditioner Prime?

Sent by iPhone using AA

Sorry, those pics have come up way to small for me to see much, it's a sign of old age lol. Have you noticed if they are moving? Could be a parasite, hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It does not appear to be moving/wiggling.
I will try to get better pics. These were the best of 50!

Guessing as well on where it is :(

Maybe a shot looking down the side of the fish or something. I just can't pick it.

How long has n2 been up? Was it a mini-cycle?

Edit - is your water conditioner Prime?

Sent by iPhone using AA

It is at the bottom of the abdomen, in front of the fin, internal. I will try your idea of a pic from the top.

I do use prime as my water conditioner.

The N2 has been elevated for about 2 weeks. Tested this morning and looks between .5 and 2. I have a hard time distinguishing the different shades of purple, but I know it shouldn't even be purple.

I am not sure if it was a mini cycle. I don't think I am skilled enough to answer. For a long time I struggled with elevated ammonia readings. I did get to 0, but today it looked between 0 and .25. I have an ammonia "detector" and the free ammonia matches the safe zone.

The tank has been established since late February.

N3 today was about 15 and PH has been a steady 7.4.

It is at the bottom of the abdomen, in front of the fin, internal. I will try your idea of a pic from the top.

I do use prime as my water conditioner.

The N2 has been elevated for about 2 weeks. Tested this morning and looks between .5 and 2. I have a hard time distinguishing the different shades of purple, but I know it shouldn't even be purple.

I am not sure if it was a mini cycle. I don't think I am skilled enough to answer. For a long time I struggled with elevated ammonia readings. I did get to 0, but today it looked between 0 and .25. I have an ammonia "detector" and the free ammonia matches the safe zone.

The tank has been established since late February.

N3 today was about 15 and PH has been a steady 7.4.

Two weeks is about what I've had but it does seem a little odd as tank going since Feb. I've found this can stress the fish although prime should be detoxifying.

Edit - how is filtration now?

Sent by iPhone using AA

Last edited:
Two weeks is about what I've had but it does seem a little odd as tank going since Feb. I've found this can stress the fish although prime should be detoxifying.

Edit - how is filtration now?

Sent by iPhone using AA

Are you asking what filtration I have? If so, it is a 20. Came with the top fin 20 gallon tank. It has one filter with activated carbon in it and an extra bag with no carbon in it. Both have been in use for a while, haven't changed the carbon in about two months. About every third water change, I soak them in the dirty water.

On that note, the straw-like thing that sucks the water up has a little gunk in it. I read I shouldn't clean it out or I will screw with the cycle. Is that correct?

When you said you figured about 2 weeks, did you mean you figured it was mini-cycled for 2 weeks because of the N2 reading along with the difficulty prior to that with the ammonia?

Are you asking what filtration I have? If so, it is a 20. Came with the top fin 20 gallon tank. It has one filter with activated carbon in it and an extra bag with no carbon in it. Both have been in use for a while, haven't changed the carbon in about two months. About every third water change, I soak them in the dirty water.

On that note, the straw-like thing that sucks the water up has a little gunk in it. I read I shouldn't clean it out or I will screw with the cycle. Is that correct?

When you said you figured about 2 weeks, did you mean you figured it was mini-cycled for 2 weeks because of the N2 reading along with the difficulty prior to that with the ammonia?

I was thinking 2 weeks for n2 is similar to myself and after that it started to drop. The last reading of ammonia and nitrite took a long time to finally disappear.

Cleaning the intake strainer(?) should be fine. Most bacteria will be in the filter. Can't remember if it has been asked but what else is in the filter besides carbon?

Sent by iPhone using AA

I was thinking 2 weeks for n2 is similar to myself and after that it started to drop. The last reading of ammonia and nitrite took a long time to finally disappear.

Cleaning the intake strainer(?) should be fine. Most bacteria will be in the filter. Can't remember if it has been asked but what else is in the filter besides carbon?

Sent by iPhone using AA

Just carbon. Do I have a ghetto filter?

Just carbon. Do I have a ghetto filter?

I must of been thinking of another thread. Confused myself :) Just in case this helps with your cycle.

Carbon is great for removing meds and somewhat for improving water clarity.

However a filter should have some bio-media for the bacteria to grow on (eg ceramic rings for biological filtration which are mainly not washed), sponge or filter floss for mechanical filtration (which can be washed) and you could use carbon or purigen for improving the water clarity. At the moment most of your bacteria are growing in the carbon which is getting regularly disturbed I suspect. A second filter is always useful I find as back-up and alternating cleans.

I would add something like below and leave the filter for 3 weeks to allow the bacteria to get going on the bio-media. The HOB filter in my QT has a few of these jammed in where there is room and then basically filter sponge/floss cartridges.

Amazon.com : Fluval Biomax Bio Rings - 500 grams/17.63 ounces : Aquarium Filter Accessories : Pet Supplies

Back
Top Bottom