Inverted Fancy Tail - suggestions requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mapexmac007

Aquarium Advice Activist
My aquarium:
29gal fresh @ ~73°F; Fluval 206 mech+charcoal+nitrate-scrubbing media; Whisper 40 air; Current Freshwater LED. 1 Anubius plant (getting more). Three goldfish: (2) 4" veil tail, (1) 4" fancy tail; 1 small snail (getting more to control brown algae). Environment is approx. 7 months, although the fish grew from a 10 gallon tank, as 1" goldfish.

I change about 5 gallons once/week. Hardly any detritus to vacuum off of the rocks. I pre-condition replacement water using Aqueon Conditioner (as directed), I add ~1 tablespoon of API Aquarium Salt, I add Topfin Bacteria Supplement (as directed), and occasionally I add 5-10cc of Kordon AmQuel Plus to help detoxify the ammonia levels. Of the replacement water, about 2 gallons are from my R/O tap.

Problem fish symptoms:
The 4" fancy tail goldfish (not counting tail) developed a bowel blockage about five months ago, and has been inverted and floating at the top of the tank for about four months. A few times/day, she'd scurry down to the bottom, only to gradually float back to the surface. I hand feed her, to insure she got her share of food. In the past, this inverted/floating condition lasted maybe two-three days. Feeding her shelled, mushed green peas fixed it - she always responded well to the pea diet.

This time however, peas were not a quick fix. Now, before I get a beat-down for not euthanizing her, (she's my daughters favorite fish) I noticed three/four weeks ago a long milky white fecal trail coming from her. I told my LFS about this, and they confirmed what we thought - she had a parasite.

Treatment thus far:
The store sold me a treatment - PraziPro by Healthaid. I followed the directions, running the filter without activated charcoal for three weeks of treatment. I am so happy to report that she is no longer stuck floating at the top of the tank.

As the third week of treatment elapsed, she began gaining more and more control of her buoyancy! Yea! (y) Now, however, the past two days she remains inverted - and doesn't move much unless it's feeding time. Ostensibly, she's now seemingly confined to the bottom of the tank - and still inverted. She perks-up a lot at feeding time. For the first time in five months, she fed herself, off of the rocks.

A friend is a DVM (cats, dogs, etc), and suggested she may have neurological damage, or may be so used to an inverted life, she's fine and adapted to an inverted life. I must note, all of her fins are fine, no damage, no other symptoms of illness. We really want to avoid euthanizing this fish.

Their diet varies:
Homemade frozen cubes of blanched, mushed green peas; frozen brine shrimp cubes, frozen blood worms cubes, frozen spirulina cubes.

Suggestions please. Thank you in advance!
(sorry for the long thread, trying to be thorough) :whistle:

Im really sorry for your loss i read your other thread and it deeply saddened me. I have a black moor goldfish that me and my fiance see as if it were our child. She was showing some of the same symptoms but i was able to help her out by moving her to a larger tank. I currently have her and a comet goldfish in a 55 gal tank and shes doing much better the only suggestion i could make is possibly move them to a larger tank. Me and my fiance send our condolences

Sent from my HTC One X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you so much lomeli. We moved these three into this larger tank — I fear too late to hold-off this condition, and now we're paying a high price. We won't be adding any others to this tank. I would hope 15 gallons/fan tail would be sufficient. I'm in creasing the amount of water changes to twice per week. But — lessons learned, and we'll be losing our little friend.

I'm going to use the benzocaine method — I think it's the most humane...

=/ how is he doing now? I would suggest before euthenizing (sorry for the misspelling) to move him to some new clean conditioned water for an hour and see if anything changes. Also adding an air stone would be good. When my black moor first got sick we moved her to a bucket with dechlorinated water, water that i would use for a wc and i sat there watching her. Within an hour or so she improved dramatically. Maybe this will help out id say its worth a shot

Also i use a website that i use as a gide line for my tanks it helps with stocking levels, tells you if your filtration is enough and recomends what % of water to change weekly. The website is www.aqadvisor.com hopefully it will help you in the futer

Hi Lomeli,
We do have an air stone in the tank, a 1" cube, pumped with a Whisper 40 — plenty of aeration. As for over-populating the tank, I'd heard that once these goldfish get 4" or larger, you should provide 2 gallons per inch of fish, so I always thought a 29 gallon tank was sufficient for three 4-inch goldfish. This, plus weekly 30% WCs.

I don't know the gpm rate, but the Fluval 206 seems quite adequate in keeping-up with the filtration demands. It's rated for a tank capacity of (I think) 75 gallons. We're well under 50% of that capacity. Again, I thought we were good to go.

I don't know of a cure for a ruptured swim bladder — I fear that's what is ailing her. How does one know for 100% certain if that is the issue??

Im not sure i think autopsy might be the only way. Im still somewhat new to fancies but i know jlk is one of the best on here shes helped me and many others. You could try asking her to see if she knows.

Thanks Lomeli, will do. A little hopeful good news??? Just fed her a frozen cube of homemade mushed green peas (approx. 3/8 inch cube). She ate about 3/4s of that cube (the other two fantails got the rest) but she perked-up quite a bit to eat them, and then was able to swim up into the water column for a few laps, then settled to rest on the tank bottom again. Of note — she's not so much inverted anymore, now mostly on her right side.

I think I will talk to our LFS guys again, and wait a few days to see how she reacts. Being at the bottom of the tank is "new" to her after being trapped at the top for nearly four months...

I wish you the best of luck i hope she gets better also id like to ask what are your water parameters?

Back
Top Bottom