Iridescent Shark Catfish not eating.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaJoe

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello;

I recently moved my two iridescent shark catfish into a new aquarium. I successfully accomplished a "fish-less cycle", got all water parameters in check and adjusted the water temperature to a suitable 25 degrees Celsius. They seem to be very, very happy in their new home. Bruce and Niles are very active and, like I said, seem very happy. My concern is that they went from consuming (cumulatively) around 14 algae wafers and an amount of shrimp pellets per day to maybe one or two wafers per day.

I have been doing alot of reading about iridescent shark catfish in captivity and have found that this is not necessarily an uncommon issue. I have been able to determine that many iridescent shark catfish owners claim their pets will actually play dead (a defense mechanism of iridescent shark catfish) for several days when moved into a new aquarium. However, I have yet to find anything about them not eating. Moreover, as previously mentioned, Bruce and Niles are extremely active -they just lack an appetite.

Something else I read stated that leaving them in complete darkness for a couple of days will help them adjust to their new home.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Please keep your comments relevant to this issue.

Cheers,
Joseph

Hiya, Joseph. I'd say the action you are describing is completely normal. Some fish refuse to eat at all after being introduced to a new home, so I'd say you aren't doing too bad. Leaving the lights off will also keep the fish calm, and help them adapt to the new home you have provided them.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice.

I think this may just be a waiting game. I will be sure to update this thread so others may learn from this experience.

Cheers,
Joseph

Hello all;

My speculations proved to be correct. After roughly two weeks of being >big sooks< they finally starting eating again! :D Although they did not have a very strong appetite at first, it slowly came back with time.

I love my ID cats! I hope this thread helps anyone who might find themselves in a similar situation.

Cheers and THANK YOU,
Joseph

good work.
are you sure they just arent eating while you are around?
i just got some new fish and i feed them. but i would leave and all the food would dissapear.
and now they are actually coming out and eating now that they are use to me and use to me coming only to feed them.
they probably stressed and scared and just wanted to get comfortable.
goodluck.

Back
Top Bottom