Iridescent Sharks Have Ick!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derek_

Aquarium Advice Newbie
TANK INFO:
-10 Gal
-2 Iridescent Sharks
-1 Dwarf Frog
tank temp - 75 degrees F

I have recently (about a week ago) picked up some new fish, ever since a little kid i have wanted sharks and I had my eye on these red fin sharks but by the time I got to a time I was able to buy, they were gone, so determined to buy sharks and I found some! Iridescent Catfish Sharks (or Pangasianodon hypophthalmus) they were clean and what seemed in good shape, so I bought them as well as a dwarf frog(Keep in mind the people at the fish store SUCKED knew less then i did it seemed like). they all live in a 10 Gall tank. Now....as i did no research before i purchased (very not like me) I brought them home to a clean fresh tank and they have lived fine and been happy, eating and no fights or anything between the 3. Since that night of purchase i did research when i got home to find my sharks need a bigger tank...by 290 gallons...that's not my major focus right now. my problem is Ick...i think....i woke the other day to find spots on them...they didn't start on fins they just appeared...ALL OVER the other morning... i also put new rocks in with white spots on them...thought maybe they were adapting to the new environment so i waited a day or 2....bad idea the spots are worse now. I'm going to get some medication in the morning, i have also read to raise the temp of my tank, but i have read these fish are pretty sensitive to sounds, movement and temp change. I read to raise temp to 80-84 degrees but my sharks live in 72-79 degrees I don't want to kill them obviously! I'm not to sure as what to do, and any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Main Questions:
1) How Long Until Ick Will Kill?
2) Will My Frog Be Okay?

EDIT:
1) I forgot to mention, I also have a little snail in my tank
2) Quarantined frog & snail and did 30% water change for sharks
3) Tank temp now 79 degrees
4) I was going to slowly raise the water temp to kill off the ick I have no water heater...can I use a heating pad under my tank on very low and watch the temp of tank and the pad? Or is this too much of a risk with drastic temp change??

Ok do if it looks like somebody sprinkled salt on your fish its Ich. The best way to treat Ich is with heat however I honestly don't know if the frog can handle temps that high

I looked over my frog and he doesn't have spots so I quarantined him I also checked and it says my african dwarf frog can live in 75-82 degrees F, I changed about 30% of my water for my sharks and the spots already started to fade first thing in the morning I was going to do a complete 100% water change and scrub my rocks. I'm going to keep a good eye on my frog and keep him in quarantine until my sharks look better

Back
Top Bottom