Irrid. Shark, fin rot, can't seem to cure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an irridescent shark who is suffering form fairly severe fin rot that I can't seem to cure.

(FYI - he's the only fish in the 30H tank; He had a buddy but his buddy passed away over the Winter. He's about 5 years old).

He's had fin rot before, but I think that was a result of bad water conditions (my fault not keeping up with water changes). I managed to cure it by getting the water back in shape and treating with "Fungas Clear" which contains nitrofurazone, furazolidone, and potassium dichromate. I've tried two rounds of the Fungas Clear this time with no significant improvement.

Over the last six months I've been doing very well with the water, but he's developed a fairly severe case over the last three months. I've got the PH at roughly neutral, perhaps 6.9 to 7.1. The nitrates are very low at perhaps 5-10 and nitrites are very low at maybe .25 at most. (The nitrates and nitrites were roughly twice that but bi-weekly 25% changes brought them down over the last couple months).

He has the little "trailers" of his fins trying to regrow, but they don't seem to get anywhere are roughly half gone (tail and dorsal fins). He seems to be active and healthy... these fish get lethargic when they are sick but he is active and eating regularly.

Any thoughts on what to try? Is there another antibiotic type treatment that would help?

I've used Jungle Fungus Eliminator for fin rot before and it works really well. Despite the name, it has an antibiotic in it that works well for fin rot.

Looking at your water readings, you shouldn't have any nitrite in a cycled tank. How often were you doing water changes before? In a 30g with only one fish, I'd expect the nitrates to be fairly low and everything else 0 with regular water changes, even if he's a big guy. :) But if the tank has been setup for 5 years, you could have what is call Old Tank Syndrome.

I've used Jungle Fungus Eliminator for fin rot before and it works really well. Despite the name, it has an antibiotic in it that works well for fin rot.

Looking at your water readings, you shouldn't have any nitrite in a cycled tank. How often were you doing water changes before? In a 30g with only one fish, I'd expect the nitrates to be fairly low and everything else 0 with regular water changes, even if he's a big guy. :) But if the tank has been setup for 5 years, you could have what is call Old Tank Syndrome.

My water changes in past years were not as frequent. However, the fish (there used to be two) did very well for years. When I first started to have issues with one, it was suggested that I start monitoring nitrates and nitrites - it was then that I noticed they were on the high side. Lately, with the frequent changes, they have been staying low enough that they don't reach the first indicator on the reading strip - but they were above zero.

This tank is very old, about 20 years. What's "old tank syndrome" ?

Should I jump in and try the Fungas Eliminator?

I would recommend trying the fungus elliminator. Remove any active carbon from the filter. What is the cleaning schedule for your filters and what kind of filters do you have?

I would recommend trying the fungus elliminator. Remove any active carbon from the filter. What is the cleaning schedule for your filters and what kind of filters do you have?

Tanks has one filter, draws from the bottom of tank but not under gravel (Penguin 300). Has two cartridge type filters with charcol andf fiber anout 6"x6" each. I change the pads about once every month and a half or two with a light wash out in between when I do a water change.

As of late, I've been changing them more frequently as each treatement with the Fungas clear requires no charcol (so I remove the charcol from the filter cartridge) then a change to a new filter cartridge after the treatment is done. So, probably once a month the last few months.

Back
Top Bottom