Is it TB? The puzzle comes together.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i had guppies like that before. A few years ago. I had tried every internal parasite and de-wormer on the market, metronidazole, praziquentel, eventually fenbendazole. They prolapesed a little with the fenbendazole, and there were never any signs of worms on their vents.
Got my entire collection sick from some skinny looking "wild guppies" some shady kid on aquabid sold me. Never again will i go that route.
Could not ever figure out what it was, skinny and stringy poo, not eating, red dots and sores and tail rot. New guppies put in the tank would within a week baloon up and get bloated like this, then whirl and die.
I eventually was told by someone on here that it was probably TB, and i had to euthanize the entire tank and stearilize everything. I even took a sick fish to the vet, and there were no internal parasites or worms. I didnt know at the time much about TB, but should have had the vet look for "nodules" or whatever forms on the organs during a TB infection.
Not saying i know for sure what this is, because surely other bacteria and internal parasites can cause bloated and stringy poo, but just saying that was my experience.

Columnaris is not something that makes fish bloat. Ill go back and read the entire 7 pages of this thread to try to get a better idea whats going on.

Well i guess im late to the party.
Dosent seem like it was columnaris, you should have seen skin lesions, tail rot.....
Bloated and stringy poo plus spirling out of control sounds alot like other types of bacteria. Hmm maybe it was just some diffrent type of bacteria, not columnaris.
I say just go with those bare tanks and those guppies!
And BTW the white floating stuff was water mould, fungi. Its normal for sometimes to see this in new tanks, and it wont hurt your fish, at all. (you cant actually see bacteria, many times people think fish get "fungus" infections, but whats really happening is bacteria such as Columnaris is killing the skin, and the fungus breaks down the dead skin, or in the case of tail rot, cartilige. Fungus/mould wont actually attack a healthy fish, they could swim around in it for weeks. )

1. After the fact, I suspect the first guppy had complications with her pregnancy. She's the only one who had those symptoms.
2. There are four different strains of columnaris, and my experience perfectly matched one of them.
3. Including "haystacks" on the glass.
4. Including rapid, symptomless deaths in quick succession in an otherwise healthy tank.
5. Not sure what gave you the impression that either of these tanks were particularly new? At four and five months, they are not old, but they certainly were established.
6. It's a moot point anyway, given that I have already treated very thoroughly.

Back
Top Bottom