Is it time to euthanize? Upddate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
My little gourami has taken a turn for the worse I am afraid. I am trying to accept she won't make it. So is it time to euthanize her as a humane thing? I am having a terrible time with the thought even but I sure don't want her to suffer. God this is killing me.

It's time. Poor thing looks more like a goldfish. It probably has irreparable liver and/or kidney damage, let alone other problems.

I think it is time as well She does not look good it looks like she is suffering. I am sorry Zagz. You did try.

I know it in my heart, would you suggest the clove oil method? I don't like the freezer method and I've read clove oil puts them to sleep. Use the clove oil and when the fish has been asleep for 20 minutes or so, either put the fish in vodka or the freezer to make sure they don't wake up?\

This is really tough but I don't want her to suffer any more.

Looks like dropsy - I can see the scales sticking out. :cry:
If she's still eating, you could try buying or mixing up a batch of medicated food with some crushed garlic as an appetite enhancer.

If she's not eating, it would probably be better to end her life humanely.

I find that the most humane methods of wuthanizing a fish are also the most difficult for us. Decapitation with a sharp knife, or crushing the head with a blunt object kills instantly and painlessly. If you can overcome the squeamishness, it's the best way, IME.

Sorry it had to come to this, its a painful issue, but how to do it is very debatable and ultimatly you have to find the best way for yourself..
Personally I believe clove oil and alcohol etc puts the fish through more pain and suffering then anything else.

This has been quite a vivid discussion on our local forum/society.
At the risk of sounding harsh, I myself, would put the fish in a bag with as little water as possible and thump it on the bench as hard as you possibly can.
If you don't like that, just net it and lift it out of the water.
I'd rather one quick method as opposed to freezing, clove oil or alcohol whatever. This to me would be more stressful to them and I would feel worse then I already should.

Just remember, you did the best you could, but now you might have to do that bit extra.

HTH
Matt.

QTOFFER said:
Looks like dropsy - I can see the scales sticking out. :cry:
If she's still eating, you could try buying or mixing up a batch of medicated food with some crushed garlic as an appetite enhancer.

If she's not eating, it would probably be better to end her life humanely.

I find that the most humane methods of wuthanizing a fish are also the most difficult for us. Decapitation with a sharp knife, or crushing the head with a blunt object kills instantly and painlessly. If you can overcome the squeamishness, it's the best way, IME.

It is dropsy, I've been treating for over a week now. She looked as if she was improving but not anymore, she hasn't eaten for about 4 days. I will have to do it for her sake. It is totally detestable for me, but now is not the time for me to be selfish with this, she is clearly suffering.

My sympathies, zagz! I wish they could come up with a simple, humane, way to do this that isn't so hard on US. I'm afraid I would be incapable of doing the "quick" way as mentioned. I think I'd have to do the clove and freezer thing if it comes to it.

Thus far, my losses have either been fairly rapid, or there's been no evidence of suffering, so I've just let nature take its course.

L

I'm sorry Zagz. :(

If it makes you feel the least bit better, I had to do this a few months ago with one of my favorite angelfish. I did the temperature shock method. Put a bowl of water in the freezer until it is almost frozen (almost ice, but still liquid with ice chunks in it) and simply dropped the fish in it. The shock immediately kills the fish painlessly. If you'd like to explore other methods, here is one of the best sites I have found on euthanasia.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/faustus/nicoldaquaria/euthanasia.htm

Well I didn't euthanize my gourami. I tried epsom salts and antibiotics. She has reduced in size dramatically. Her scales are barely sticking out anymore. She is swimming around and her color is coming back. She has a pocket on her right side that I assume is the fluid draining from her body. I don't know what to do about the pocket but she does seem to be improving a lot. She is eating a bit now. I'm a bit afraid to be too hopeful but she does look better for sure. Any opinions? Should I keep doing what I am doing? Or regardless of how she is looking and acting better, is she still doomed? I find it hard to believe she is doomed. The first pic shows her size reduction and her color coming back. Now she doesn't want to sit still for a pic. Before when she was so bloated she just sat there. Now she is swimming around the tank quite a bit.

Wooo. :multi:

That is definitley a good sign. Chances are she may be doomed, chances are she isn't. You just never know. What antibiotics did you use to treat?

AP's Nala-gram. I was in the lfs and it was on the shelf. Jungle and maracyn didn't work so I thought I'd give it one more try. Within one day she showed improvement. Here's hoping.

She is improving more and more. I am cautiously hopeful. The bubbles of fluid on her sides have gone down to nothing. I am watching her for any signs of secondary infections, she is eating a bit, not much but a bit. Her scales still stick out slightly but her body mass is down to at least half of what it was. She swims around the tank quite a bit now. Crossing fingers here.

Rondory said:
How is your fish now?
Unfortunately I had to euthanize her as I was prolonging her suffering, she hadn't eaten in over two weeks and was only being kept alive by the meds. She kept reswelling up and I felt I was being horribly selfish.

Back
Top Bottom