Is my betta sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malupoo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey people,

Have had my betta for 4 weeks now and I'm a little worried about him.
His breathing is very deep, he has some dark coloration on his head and 1-2 scales are quite shiny on his left side.

Parameters I'm able to test at the moment seem normal.
Temp- 27 ( it's rather hot now in sydney now)
Ph- 7
Amm- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10
History, everything has been fine I noticed heavy breathing after my last water change 2 days ago. I did everything I would do in the past. Temperature match new water, conditioned it etc.
he is still very responsive and eating properly, maybe I'm just being a worry wart.
I included a pic Of the shiny scales. Hard to get good pics he doesn't stay still when I approach the tank. He thinks it's food time

Here you can see the shiny scales

That is a fantastic fighter, the colouration is beautiful! He looks pretty healthy. Fins are out and everything, the scales could just be his natural colouring or maybe his age. Do you have a rough idea on his age? Is he still taking gulps of air from the surface? Is it an open top or lidded tank?

Not sure on his age, I can ask my lfs tomorrow if they have a idea on how old their last bettas were.
He hasn't been gulping for air at the surface I just notice he has a very fast and deep breathin pace which I didn't notice before. I could be worrying too much. This is my first tank in 5+ years and my first betta
Tank has got a lid, I'm just a little unsure with leaving it un lidded. I have a rather cheeky Bengal cat, that I don't trust with a open tank!

He's a handsome fellow, i don't know if he's sick but he looks awesome, I'd try and breed from him if it was me too.

Not sure on his age, I can ask my lfs tomorrow if they have a idea on how old their last bettas were. He hasn't been gulping for air at the surface I just notice he has a very fast and deep breathin pace which I didn't notice before. I could be worrying too much. This is my first tank in 5+ years and my first betta Tank has got a lid, I'm just a little unsure with leaving it un lidded. I have a rather cheeky Bengal cat, that I don't trust with a open tank!

Personally I'd leave a betta tank lidded as they need a gulp of humid air fairly regularly, I ask about his age because fighters are generally sold at approx 6-8 months when their colours are at the finest. After that unless they are kept in optimum (I'm not suggesting that you keep yours in anything less!) conditions they do tend to fade a little. And talk to me about cats! They a bloody nightmare!!

Back
Top Bottom