Is my Betta suffering?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a beautiful Betta named Hank, to whom the whole family is quite attached. We've had him for about a year and a half. I am embarrassed to say that he was in a bowl for the first year. When I started reading about what Betta actually need, as he was becoming unwell, I set up a 15 gallon tank with a heater, and got him all settled in. He seemed to rally for a while, but has been getting progressively worse over the past two months. He was having trouble staying at the top of the tank, but was doing well propping himself up on top of some equipment. He was still able to swim up to eat. Then he would try to swim up to eat, but couldn't stay at the surface long enough to get anything. Now he doesn't even try, though he does swim along the bottom, and is able to eat once the food comes down. I initially thought he was constipated, but this is not the case. I try to vacuum his tank every other week, which is when the tank gets a top up of water (about 15% is changed). He is generally floating on his stomach, but from time to time I'll check on him and he'll be on his side, breathing quite heavily. This will last no more than 5 minutes.

Is there anything I can do to help him? Is he suffering? Please let me know what I can do to help this little guy out.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have never checked the water. I will do that tomorrow.

I'm a little confused. I was only doing small water changes because my understanding was that big water changes were bad for the fish. I was doing weekly 50% water changes when he was in his bowl, and then read that I was doing that wrong! Should I be changing half the water? How often? Poor guy. I feel terrible.

Thanks for your help, guys!

I have never checked the water. I will do that tomorrow.

I'm a little confused. I was only doing small water changes because my understanding was that big water changes were bad for the fish. I was doing weekly 50% water changes when he was in his bowl, and then read that I was doing that wrong! Should I be changing half the water? How often? Poor guy. I feel terrible.

Thanks for your help, guys!

If you have a filter for him then you need to head over to the getting started section and read about fish in cycling. Basically, the nitrogen cycle in your filter. Time for you to take a biology lesson lol.

Yes changing 50% weekly is very healthy for your fish. Many of us myself included change 50% a week for my fish.

Caleb

Ok. Wonderful. I will study up. Thanks so much for getting back to me, Caleb!

As above.

Just roughly temp match the change water and work up to that level of changes.

I do say 50% in smaller tank and 30% in main tank and do that every week. Tank water doesn't get a chance to change too much in chemistry from tap water before it gets changed.

Thanks!

I agree with everything said above. One thing to make sure of is to NEVER throw away the carbon cartridges from the filter. I am assuming that you are using the stock carbon that probably came with the tank. All the good bacteria live in that carbon and when you throw it out and put another carbon cartridge in then it will take a while for the bacteria to grow again, causing the tank to throw it self into a mini cycle. So in short, don't throw away the carbon until it is literally falling apart. I would suggest buying some kind of Fluval filter media, like some sponges or Biomax. This works way better than carbon and also has much more surface area for bacteria. If you decide to buy any of this, then make sure to put it in the filter next to the carbon for a while so that the BB (beneficial bacteria) can move and grow on the new media. As for your fish, I do think this is because of water quality. When I was reading the first post I was thinking maybe old age, as bettas only live an average of 4-5 years, and we don't know how long he was alive before you bought him. There are lots of possibilities for what the problem is, but water changes are always good and it sounds like he has enough space in that 15 gallon. If you are talking about the Aqueon 15 gallon column tank, then I would understand why he has trouble going to the top. It is a really high tank and with all those fins it is probably really tiring to reach the top.
search

I agree with everything said above. One thing to make sure of is to NEVER throw away the carbon cartridges from the filter. I am assuming that you are using the stock carbon that probably came with the tank. All the good bacteria live in that carbon and when you throw it out and put another carbon cartridge in then it will take a while for the bacteria to grow again, causing the tank to throw it self into a mini cycle. So in short, don't throw away the carbon until it is literally falling apart. I would suggest buying some kind of Fluval filter media, like some sponges or Biomax. This works way better than carbon and also has much more surface area for bacteria. If you decide to buy any of this, then make sure to put it in the filter next to the carbon for a while so that the BB (beneficial bacteria) can move and grow on the new media. As for your fish, I do think this is because of water quality. When I was reading the first post I was thinking maybe old age, as bettas only live an average of 4-5 years, and we don't know how long he was alive before you bought him. There are lots of possibilities for what the problem is, but water changes are always good and it sounds like he has enough space in that 15 gallon. If you are talking about the Aqueon 15 gallon column tank, then I would understand why he has trouble going to the top. It is a really high tank and with all those fins it is probably really tiring to reach the top.
search

Carbon inst necessary by any means unless you want to remove tannins or medications. Some filters though, like the last remaining marine land I have, has carbon in the filter pad. Just ignore the carbon. Some say carbon polishes the water like Purigen does but I have yet to see results of it.

Agree on the biomedia or some kitchen pot scrubbers work as a cheap alternative.

Caleb

Ok. Sounds good. I bought a (Fluval?) filter that has three layers, changed at different times. That seemed to make sense, only changing one layer at a time.

It is the really tall aquarium. But he was having no problems for the first while..

The water changes seem to be helpful. He's still hanging out at the bottom, but doesn't seemed stressed anymore (or gaspy).

Thanks again, everyone. Your advice is really appreciated!

Gasping is a sign of ammonia burns or lack of oxygen. You don't use co2 so it's ammonia burns. If you see him gasping do water changes immediately .

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom