Is my fish definitely dieing? Or can I help in any way?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shepz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone, it is with regret that I'm having too make a new post in the
Unhealthy fish section ?.

Today I looked into my tank and I saw my goldfish, just laid on the bottom, no movement at all, not even the gills!
So as soon as I saw this I've put him in a bucket with fresh water and got him away from the other fish. His gills are moving abit more normal paced now but he's not swimming, just laying slightly on his side :/ if I touch him he is able too regain balance and start swimming again but as soon as he stops he goes back to his side tilted position. Also note that he has been bloated now (on one side more so than the other) for like a whole year, and I don't really ever see him lay any waste. I don't think it's swim bladder because normally he'd be swimming on his side, but the poor guy is just laid on his side.
He also has a cloudy eye, which I've been trying to fix for some time.
I think it could be due too dirty water, sadly I've let my water changes slip.

Has anyone had this before? Should he be euthanised? I want the best for him because he's my first ever fish I got 8 years ago when I was 10, and I'm praying this isn't the end.

He's in a 45 gallon tank with two black moores, a comet and three weatherloaches.

No tank parameters as I still don't have a testing kit, which I'm going too order asap.

Thanks.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421084134.423009.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421084177.755532.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would keep him in super fresh water and see if he will eat some mashed up peas.

Sounds like this is a result of poor conditions. If he eats I would say there is still a chance. But give him peas to try and clear him out.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, it is not a good sign that he has been showing bloat symptoms for a year. I cant really tell from the pictures, but he might have dropsy. If the scales are sticking out like a pinecone, that is my guess. Also, it fits with the uneven distending of the the belly.
Another option is an ongoing swim bladder infection or some sort of thing.
The chronic nature of both of the issues you described show that the fish is in very poor health. I apologize for being the bearer of bad news, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.
If he is going to stay in a bucket for treatment, I would get some sort of air pump hooked up to it.
It is up to you if you want to try peas and antibiotics to clear out the blockage and treat for infection. Will he eat? If so, the peas are a good place to start. Though, since this has been going on for a year I don't think that treating potential constipation will actually save his life. If it was me, I would probably euthanize the poor thing. But up to you.
What have you been using the treat the cloudy eye?

I'm not going to get any hopes up, he's pretty bad.
For cloudy eye I used maracyn-2 which helped but didn't full eliminate (maybe I just need too keep up with it for a long time).

But yeah I've attached some pictures that I put on the forum awhile ago about him, there was a big discussion whether he was fat, constipated or gravid, which in the end came too no conclusion, he's been up and down in the size department for the past year.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421105604.606391.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421105614.690041.jpg

I've moved him into the main tank again after a hefty water change, which has made everyone happier. His breathing is abit better and he's a lot less slanted than when he was in the bucket (he was probably cramped). But he's still not swimming around much.

I'll try feeding him pea's tomorrow, he didn't eat earlier and the way he's swimming looks like he is blind (although one eye isn't cloudy at all?)

If he doesn't show promising signs soon then I might have to euthanise him, but I want too try my best too keep him alive as he's been my pal for ages!

Thanks

Id say this is a good lesson in why its crucial to have a testing kit. You have no clue now what the issue is and are just guessing in the dark The water changes are always a great starting point, as all aquatic animals do best in clean water.

How often do you feed them? he could have something internal, but for a whole year seems a bit long to just now be showing distress from it. I hope he does okay, he sure is a cute fish.

Yeah I'm beating myself up about that now, I thought it could be poisoning from nitrate or ammonia or something but then I thought, wouldn't it kill off the little fish first? Cause this guy is like 6-7inches and the black Moore's are 2-3 inches at best.

I used to feed them everyday, but just flakes, and I saw they used to get constipated really quickly, so I alternated between pea's and flakes, and sometimes I would skip days just too be on the safe side.

As for his bloat, a year ago I put him in his own tank and only gave him pea's and it took about three months for any difference, his stomache went down the tiniest big and he was swimming alot happier so I just put him in the main tank ever since then, and he's seemed pretty happy, swimming loads and eating a lot, swimming through my hand and eating out of it, which is why I don't know where this sudden shock has came from.

He's still the same today, normal breathing, and dorsal fin is up, but he's in that slouched position which just looks like there is no hope. When he does decide to get up and swim, he is swimming very blindly and just swimming into a direction until he hits a wall, then he'll change direction.
I don't think I could bring myself too euthanise him, it'd be like killing a bestfriend (sad I know).

Going too try hand feed him a pea or two soon.

He nibbled on a pea but spat it back out, still not much movement which the blind swim here and there.

He looks like he is filled with air, I can see at the vent that there is just a massive bloat of air inside some sort of sack, it's really risen since he's been in this condition, could this be the reason why he's suffering all of a sudden? Is there anything I can do too help her rid of this air? I can salt bath her and try give her peas?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421207293.145069.jpg

Can you see? It looks like a sac which is just filled with complete gas!

How often are you doing water changes ? How much water (%) ?

What filter ?

That's a lot of fish for a 45g.

Bioload wise I mean...GF are poop machines.

It sucks to have a sick fish. I'd up your water changes and get a test kit ASAP. Can you take a sample of water to a LFS ?

Do you have a pond he can go into ?

I would reduce stock in the 45g to just the two Moors. Either get a bigger 2nd tank or pond.
Or make a Rubbermaid container or stock tank pond. Lots of vids about this and making DIY Filters.

Comets and Common GF must have room to grow or they stunt and have health issues and die young.

Last edited:
I have gave him a bath and i will today too!

I did weekly water changes of around 60% but they ended up slipping.
The water quality wasn't great I'm sure.

I won't be able to get to a LFS till Saturday because I'm at college, will they have a testing kit for me to but also do you think?

My filter is an aqua manta efx 300 and I have another little filter (forgot its name) which produces lots of bubbles and creates a tiny current.

He's not showing much life, so thinks aren't looking good.

Sadly have lost him.
R.I.P to the little guy! 8 years is a long friendship.

Thanks everyone for the advice, guess this is a lesson learned too not let my water slip and get a testing kit.

Back
Top Bottom