is my fish dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
shuvit said:
I'll be getting one Monday. He uses liquid kits, does it infront of you. The readings 3 weeks ago were
ammonia 2.0
NitrAte 80
NitrIte 20
Ph 7.0
Slowly came down with a 50% water change and then daily 25% over 2 weeks. Had water tested twice over the next week and he said the water is brilliant now so doing changes every other day them every 3 days etc until I'm back to once a week.

You're going to have to continue with every day -every other day at least- until that tank is cycled.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-jus...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

I'm sorry about your fish.

Yeah I think that's a good idea although it should be cycled by now. Getting test kit tomorrow so I will be better able to check. Any advice on how often to check?

shuvit said:
Yeah I think that's a good idea although it should be cycled by now. Getting test kit tomorrow so I will be better able to check. Any advice on how often to check?

Test every day while you've got ammonia and nitrite showing up.
How long has the tank been set up? Sometimes cycling can take a while. But with those readings you know it isn't yet.

Right, my little tank results....
Ph; 7.6
Ammonia; between 0 and 0.25
NitrIte; 0
NitrAte; 10 ppm.

My big tank that's been all the trouble is
Ph; 7.6
Ammonia; 0
NitrIte; 0
NitrAte; 40-80ppm (cant really tell the difference if I'm honest.....) How's that looking? Both tanks are due pwc tomorrow.
Guppies in small tank are starting to look shabby around the tails again, thinking maybe put aquarium salt in tomorrow with the water? Is it worth doing 2 days of myxazin? Will it affect my bio filter? Need to put carbon sponge back in big tank filter too.

I'm sorry about more losses. You had some pretty high levels of ammonia and nitrite in your larger tank a few weeks ago - were the guppies in that tank at the time?

They were in little tank then moved some into the bigger tank as I had high ammonia in my little one (washed all my good stuff out of the filter after following pack instructions saying to wash in clean tap water)
Thought they would be better in the more established tank then found the water was even worse! Looking at diseases today and identified columungis (sp) as the disease that wiped my other guppies out.
See no sign of this now but ragged tails have started again, and could have swore I saw white cotton wool type thing near tail of guppy but that's disappeared?
Also my male guppy has red dots on the end of his tail fin, otherwise he looks well.
Really starting to lose heart now. Finally sort the water then this :-(

paytertot said:
Test every day while you've got ammonia and nitrite showing up.
How long has the tank been set up? Sometimes cycling can take a while. But with those readings you know it isn't yet.

Sorry paytertot, I meant nitrates were high not nitrites x

Sometimes exposure to poor water parameters can leave the fish vulnerable to disease. It sounds like you're on the right track re: correcting the filter issues and having your tanks cycling well. I hope the worst is behind you and that your remaining fish survive.

Bbarb27 said:
Sometimes exposure to poor water parameters can leave the fish vulnerable to disease. It sounds like you're on the right track re: correcting the filter issues and having your tanks cycling well. I hope the worst is behind you and that your remaining fish survive.

Thank you, I really do hope so :-(

Back
Top Bottom