Is My freshwater crab dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curtissimo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:oops: I bought a female crab about two months ago and it she seemed pretty active up till a few days ago, when I had bought a male for her(I don't know if this is relevant). Today she stopped moving around and stayed fixed to a plant. I tried to budge her this morning and she "woke up" and moved around slightly. I just now found her upside down! :cry:
Is it possible she is molting, because she has increased about a third in size? I'd hate to flush it if it was only molting. I'm sick of having an aquarium--Whenever I get attached to things they die!!! Please help!

She is probably molting. This is also when most crabs will breed, so if the male is , err, like attached to her, let them be. Also, if she does molt, leave the old shell in for a couple days, sometimes crabs will eat part or all of the old shell to get enough calcium (i think) to harden the new shell.

8O Oh s.h.!.t! I flushed her down the toilet because I thought she was dead. There was nothing moving at all when I tried to make her move! No breathing, no nothing. I am feeling very guilty now! She had grown pretty quickly too! She basically looked like she had rigor mortis--all tense. I guess I'll never know unless someone here knows she was dead! :(

Back
Top Bottom