Is my Gourami injured or something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ulmina

Aquarium Advice Regular
Helloooo, long time no see. Sorry i have been a poor community member these past months but I won't bother you with a long story. :whistle:

Okay, first issue is I don't know for sure what genders my two Sunset (Honey Sunset?) Gouramis are. I've been assuming the large one is male & smaller female, but today read the females are larger. (Do females chase the males??) I'll just call them "big" and "small" for the sake of this post.

So half the time I'm looking (which is a lot), the big G is chasing the little G, then goes back to its business. I have been assuming it's for mating because it doesn't look exactly like garden-variety aggression, AND my biggest clue has been that it doesn't seem to stress out the tank-mates, not even the corys, whereas I find that 'true' aggression makes tank-mates upset or uncomfortable. I am wondering if what I see today is a stress-reaction illness beginning, or if the small G was made to run into a tank decoration and hurt itself?

The small G just today has a large-ish white area (or wound?) kind of hanging a bit like a 'skin tag' right next to its mouth (a little above mouth toward eye). Looks like a piece of flake stuck to its mouth. It isn't acting sick, but IS doing its best to hide as it goes about its business because it's being pretty continuously chased today. I will attach a picture, downloading now as i write this, assuming I can figure out how. :rolleyes:

Have had these Gs since May 31, purchased together at mom-n-pop LFS. Tank is a medium-heavily planted 16g bowfront & tankmates are 2 micro-corys, 2 rainbow furcata (pair?) 3 neon tetras, about 7 or 8 assassin snails, and uninvited other snails which i hand-remove almost daily. There is a mature sponge filter from the corys' & neons' previous tank, plus a Whisper 30i running. June 27, did a 20% WC & I do these approx weekly~ sometimes 10%, sometimes up to 25%, just depends. Temp is approx 73 degrees & nothing but dechlorinated water, a bit of Prime, & a bit of Flourish has been added new to tank for a while, same brands. Last plants were added about 3 weeks ago ~ so basically a very stable environment & water very stable at 0-0.1 ammonia, 0 nitrites, & 0 to <1.0 nitrates. My tap pH is at or above the basic test kit & I forget the hardness but my LFS is a mile away so i figure they have the same water as far as those last 2 parameters go, & i just don't worry about them (until/unless someone explains that I need to, i guess).

Sorry this was so long.

here are the pictures now, i hope. :banghead:

Attachments

• 20150704_124328.jpg
    20150704_124328.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20150704_124517.jpg
    20150704_124517.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 65
Could just be injury.
Up your waterchanges until it is healed and stay away from any of the fix products(melafix/pimafix) as they are an oil based med and have caused many issues for labarynth breathing fish(they suffocate with the oily coating on surface ).
That is a very red gourami(nice) and your plants look good!

So you don't think I should remove him/her to heal alone?

Also wondering if I should split them up and put one of them in my 20 because it doesn't seem healthy to be chased all the time. :fish1:

Oh if separating them is possible I would.
Move the aggressor out so incase you want to pair them up again
"he" will be the new comer to tank and therefore have to establish territory.
Gourmais in general are pretty tough fish IMO.

Thanks for your help! :thanks:

If the video will upload, there should be an attachment showing the aggressive behavior and 'aftermath'. Would this warrant separating in your opinion?

16 gal tank video 7-4-15

This site didn't like the format so I had to convert it. :facepalm: Attaching now ...

Should I be concerned by this type of chasing? Which is the male /female or are they both males? The big one is always looking for food on the bottom and is the best eater in the tank at feeding time so no surprise how HUGE it is, but is it eggs or just food?!

No video and not to go way to deep but GIH(Growth Inhibiting Hormones) will keep a submissive male much smaller and lacking male characteristics,like long finnage.....
Once the dominant male is removed the other may start to show "his" stuff.
Until then(separation) it is a matter of life or death to disguise ,hide and be submissive to the bully until help arrives...
I have seen this hundreds of times when I bred swordtails(which some one will say is apples to oranges) so I say this is just a mention from my experiences and thought worth mentioning.
I'm no good with video advice as I have never ...

Back
Top Bottom