Is my guppy ill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddynev

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all can anyone advise please? My guppy has developed a red spot over the last couple of days. Any ideas please?

Attachments

• image-1058512402.jpg
    image-1058512402.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 138
Hi!
A few questions.
Is the tank still cycling?
What are the parameters?
Is it raised or flat?
Getting bigger?
Any other symptoms?
Is there a thread/worm coming out of the spot?

Hi yes although I did a big water change last night as nitrites had risen to about 1 overnight. Current readings are
Amm 0 nitrites 0 nitrates about 40. The.red spot looks flat but it has town since yesterday. We did think that all four guppies were looking a little fat yesterday.

Sorry the yes was to the tank cycling. I can't see anything coming out of the spot

At the moment it looks like ammonia/nitrite burns. Keep a close eye on it and keep us posted if it changes. Keep up the water changes to keep nitrite down. Add a small dose of salt (1/3 - 1/2 a tablespoon for your tank - 35L) to help with the nitrite toxicity.

Daddynev said:
Oh no i feel really bad,,, is it curable?

Yes it is :) good clean water will do the trick.
If you notice a string/worm protruding from the spot we can safely assume it's not burns but a parasite (anchor worm). Curable with praziquantel.

I'm really pleased today I did a big water change and added salt to the water last night and the red spot seems to have all but gone.

Hi all, just come in from work to find the same guppy now has a split tail. I haven't tested the water tonight yet but the ammonia / nitrite have been around 0 for the last couple of days. I did a big water change on Monday night. I was hoping to get some more fish this coming weekend. Any ideas what might have caused the split tail?

Thanks as ever

Daddynev said:
Hi all, just come in from work to find the same guppy now has a split tail. I haven't tested the water tonight yet but the ammonia / nitrite have been around 0 for the last couple of days. I did a big water change on Monday night. I was hoping to get some more fish this coming weekend. Any ideas what might have caused the split tail?

Thanks as ever

A split will heal. :) most likely he was fighting/playing with his guppy tank mates and got nipped or caught on something. Clean water is all you need.
The tank has to be getting 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite to be cycled. If its even getting a trace it's not cycled and adding new fish can result in a larger spike.
What fish are you planning on adding?

Thanks. I'll retest the water tonight. I've been trying to limit the food to keep the nitrites down too. My daughter's dead keen on neon or cardinal tetras so was thinking about 4/5 of these. But not sure if this is too many for the tank though. Went to a lfs today to investigate and they said it'd be ok.

Daddynev said:
Thanks. I'll retest the water tonight. I've been trying to limit the food to keep the nitrites down too. My daughter's dead keen on neon or cardinal tetras so was thinking about 4/5 of these. But not sure if this is too many for the tank though. Went to a lfs today to investigate and they said it'd be ok.

Unfortunatly the LFS will say a lot of things to make a sale. IMO 6 neons would be ok but that would leave the tank stocked to the limit.

Neons are touchy little fish, id put them off awhile as they need a stable tank system to survive. Most neons are so mass produced and now they are all very weak fish, especially for beginners. As always the bigger the tank the easier it is to keep your water conditions stable. BTW neons like plants to hide in fake or real doesn't matter.

Neons are touchy little fish, id put them off awhile as they need a stable tank system to survive. Most neons are so mass produced and now they are all very weak fish, especially for beginners. As always the bigger the tank the easier it is to keep your water conditions stable. BTW neons like plants to hide in fake or real doesn't matter. You could go with a cardinal tetra as they look similar, cardinals get a lil bigger but are not so mass bred. And yes big chain LFS people are usually ill informed but some do have some sense. Good luck.

Ok will bear that in mind. I'll retest the water tonight it looked good last night but I'll see what it is later. I'm happy to wait longer if needed as I've waited long enough already. We've plenty of fake plants in the tank so we should be ok on that front.

Back
Top Bottom