is my guppy ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwandrsn

Aquarium Advice Addict
I cannot get a picture that is clear but I have 7 male guppies and I noticed one has something on its head. it looks kinda like his skin is peeling but I am not sure any ideas?

Anybody? I have heard of hole in the head. And this kinda looks like a wound or a hole in his head of some sorts. He seems to be acting fine except he is keeping his top fin up.

First what are your water parameters? What size tank do you have him in? If it is HITH it is caused by water conditions usually. However it may be a fungus, I'd recommend a water change, and then add some melafix, and pimafix for starters. If you can get a picture it would be helpful.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Ph 7.8
Temp 77
20 gallon tank
done 50% pwc Sunday . We keep the tank really clean and I do water changes weekly even though its not needed

It might be HITH disease, hard to tell for sure. It looks like one area rather than small pitted areas. Is it pitted areas or one large cottony area?

And it looks like the skin is like raised up like a blister kinda its hard to explain. Just like his skin is flaking off

It does not sound like HITH disease. Do you have access to melafix and pimafix? Do you add dechloriantor to the tank when you do your water changes? Is there any chance it might have started as an injury from aggression? It seems either like a fungus or an injury.

I use API tap water conditioner and treat for the whole tank when I do water changes, also use API stress zyme, and flora pride.

No no access to that at the moment. may be an injury I have noticed his trail fin getting ripped some. We have 7 male guppies, 5 neon tetras, 3 albino corys, 2 amino bristle nosed plecos, 4 ghost shrimp
I know its a lot that's why I keep up with changes and what not

Another alternative is to quarantine him. If that isn't possible what medications do you have on hand? Do you have carbon in your filter? If so I'd remove it. Carbon will remove any medications you do use.

Another alternative is to quarantine him. If that isn't possible what medications do you have on hand? Do you have carbon in your filter? If so I'd remove it. Carbon will remove any medications you do use.

No quarantine tank and I don't have, any medications for the fish on hand. I do have carbon in the filter I just haven't changed it in a while I rinse in tank water when I do changes

I have penicillin but not for fish??? I seen online where they have penicillin for fish. Same thing?
I have 500mg pills

It looks like it may be getting better. I really hope so out of all my wifes guppies I picked it out cause,I liked it. I figure if it doesn't look better in a few days I'll go but some meds

Back
Top Bottom