Is my new fish bullying my old one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raku

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, so basically what happened was I got a new goldfish a couple days ago so my old goldfish wouldn't be all alone. They both live in a 2.5 gallon tank as of right now and I am planning on getting them a 20 gallon within the next month. I'm only 15 so I can't just go out and buy things, If I could I would... But anyway, so I noticed that my older goldfish got a rip in his tail. I looked it up and brushed it off as "he probably just got it caught on something and he will be ok as long as it doesn't rot." But then this morning I noticed my new goldfish bumping and nipping at him. So I suspected that the new goldfish was being mean to him and could've caused his tail injury. Taking this theory into consideration I put my old goldfish in a medium sized plastic tub to seperate the two. After school I got home and noticed that the goldfish seemed to see eachother through the plastic and were trying to swim to eachother as if they missed one another. I decided to kind of "expierement" and put the new goldfish in the tub with the old one and they both seemed fine. Now I put them both back in the tank and they still seem to be ok. The new one isnt bothering the old one. So I'm not sure what to do or why the new one could of been hurting the old one. Despite the fact the older one is a bit bigger.

2.5g will get polluted way too fast with 2 GF. It's too small for one.

See if you can get a 25-50g tub or bin. Unused, Clean. For now you'll need to do a lot of water changes.

Test your water. Don't use the tank....too small.

Are these regular Goldfish or Fancies ( round shape) ?

Long term, reg GF will need a pond or at least a 60g.

Fancies for 2 ? Minimum ? 29g. 40-55g is better.

65cdb3d1c2a9d633322e75732cc78bc2.jpg

You can often find used tanks free. Check YouTube for vids on making DIY ponds and filters.

GF can live many years with good care, but they need room to grow and plenty of clean water as they are poop machines or they die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My goldfish are regular Comets. I do water changes every other day to make sure their water doesn't get too messy. I don't have anything to test their water, either. They don't seem to be getting sick or anything though. They swim around, eat, and rest normally. Sometimes they will swim up and down the sides of the tank. I assume it's just because they can see their reflection and are playing with it.

I think the main problem is your tank is too small and the fish are stressed and getting territorial. I had a similar problem with one of my fish, and as soon as I moved the group to a much larger tank, the issue immediately disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok, thank you! I've moved them both into the plastic tub for now, and they both seem to be fine. :^)

Back
Top Bottom