Is my platy too fat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
just looks like he has to big of a belly

sorry for the rams they wont let me take pics of anyone else

1zzti5f.jpg

259d7ww.jpg

BHead707 said:
just looks like he has to big of a belly

sorry for the rams they wont let me take pics of anyone else

Pregnant...? Any other platys in a the tank? Did you just buy it

Pregnant...? Any other platys in a the tank? Did you just buy it

ya sorry for lack of background.

I had 2 of them and raised them from newborn fry. one died probably a month ago. They are only about 4.5 months old so i doubt its pregnant. I only feed once a day.

BHead707 said:
ya sorry for lack of background.

I had 2 of them and raised them from newborn fry. one died probably a month ago. They are only about 4.5 months old so i doubt its pregnant. I only feed once a day.

I know mollies, guppies and platies are similar as livebearers... Just wanted to put out there that my Molly fry were getting pregnant at 6-8 wks and giving birth at approx 10-12 wks... (3 mths) ...
Your platy is gorgeous btw.. I love the red wag. I have Gold Twin Bars :)

I know mollies, guppies and platies are similar as livebearers... Just wanted to put out there that my Molly fry were getting pregnant at 6-8 wks and giving birth at approx 10-12 wks... (3 mths) ...
Your platy is gorgeous btw.. I love the red wag. I have Gold Twin Bars :)

why thank you, but the only hiccup that i see is that the other platy passed about a month ago. so what could have gotten it pregnant?

BHead707 said:
why thank you, but the only hiccup that i see is that the other platy passed about a month ago. so what could have gotten it pregnant?

If your platy is 4 mths old it's possible it mated in that 2-3 mth window...
Mine mated before I could 100% confirm a gonopodium ...

okay i was juts wondering if it did perhaps mate wouldnt i have already seen fry since then?

maybe the platy did the nasty with one of your rams... or even more scandalous, BOTH of them >.> ?

in all seriousness its probably just a fatty

Jaydizzle707 said:
maybe the platy did the nasty with one of your rams... or even more scandalous, BOTH of them >.> ?

in all seriousness its probably just a fatty

Lol the rams.. Funny... :) they lay eggs

One of my platies thins out for 1-2 days after birthing and then expands again.. Shes constantly pregnant...
Live bearers store enough sperm for up to 6 mths of birthing from a single mating
ooh well in that case ill have to watch carefully for some fry i guess thank you

What's the verdict? Pregnant or fat? I was also wondering if my (2) platys were too fat...same type of platy, same big belly.

Back
Top Bottom