Is my Snail dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurderComplication

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found my Zebra nerite snail at the bottom of the tank with his shell's opening up this moring. He was eating his algae wafers and the algae on the side of the tank like crazy since I got him a month ago. I placed him on his side against the glass of the tank just in case he decides to start moving.

He was out of my water or at the water line the past two days.
Am. and N0 - 0
NO2-0.5ppm
Ph-7.3

I found my Zebra nerite snail at the bottom of the tank with his shell's opening up this moring. He was eating his algae wafers and the algae on the side of the tank like crazy since I got him a month ago. I placed him on his side against the glass of the tank just in case he decides to start moving.

He was out of my water or at the water line the past two days.
Am. and N0 - 0
NO2-0.5ppm
Ph-7.3

Your readings look just fine how long has he been like this?

He's been like this for at least a day - but my parameters don't seem to be effected if he is dead. I'll wait longer to see if he does move :]

I have had snails thrive and also drop dead in both fresh and salt.

First, some are already large and older when you get them. I had a olive nerite as long as my thumb tip from the nail to knuckle when my lfs tossed him in with some plants. He was moving around my 29 gallon and did great for 5 months.

I added a large cherry sized mystery snail and medium ramshorn after my original nerite and they all lived together for about 3 or 4 months when the mystery died, then the nerite in a few days, then the ramshorn the next month.

Params were spot on, in fact that may have been my problem, all my plants were thriving and my only fish was a small male betta, honestly the snails were the bulk of my tanks bioload and without noticing it my tank was plum out of algea! no wasted food. I caught them munching on my smallest and favorite crypt parva carpet before they drank the kool-aid.

:(

I felt lousy. Later I forgave myself because it was my first tank, and now I have a pretty big crew of salt water snails of various shapes and sizes (my snail united nations cabinet) and they occasionally do keel over, sometimes I guess it was this or that, but usually I can't know as the others are still happy and there are no clues. Twice actually, one asterea (spelling im sure) and another margarita snail. still have another surviving 3 of those 2 types in my 55 fowlr and a narcissius (spelling again lol) snail who is teeny tiny. And a giganto sand sifting snail the size of a chicken McNugget! he rules.

OKAY this is the point of this babble: See a dead-looking snail? Not responding?

Here is what I do... make a note or mental note of the first sighting of the "dormant snail"

If it looks like it is overturned and can't reach any surface to right itself, I use a tool to roll it over.

24 hours later................. Any movement?

another 12-24..................I reach into the tank and take it out briefly to inspct, sniff the shell if you don't see any body and you will know ;)

Here's what my snail looks like :[ he doesn't look that good, but my params havn't spiked like when my first two shrimps I bought died a week after I bought them.
IMG-20130210-00413.jpg.html

another 12-24..................I reach into the tank and take it out briefly to inspct, sniff the shell if you don't see any body and you will know ;)[/QUOTE]

OMG!! I just bought three snails from Petco and they have never moved. I read this posting and did the "sniff test". I wish I would have done that before I left the pet store. Apparently these guys have been dead awhile!! They smell worse than anything I've smelled in a long time!!! I'm taking them back tomorrow and buying something else. No wonder the snail tank smelled bad at the store. I think they were ALL dead!! :(:(

[QUOTE="]

OMG!! I just bought three snails from Petco and they have never moved. I read this posting and did the "sniff test". I wish I would have done that before I left the pet store. Apparently these guys have been dead awhile!! They smell worse than anything I've smelled in a long time!!! I'm taking them back tomorrow and buying something else. No wonder the snail tank smelled bad at the store. I think they were ALL dead!! :(:([/QUOTE]

Wow, that stinks! (Pardon the pun) Hope you get your refund.

Wow, that stinks! (Pardon the pun) Hope you get your refund.

I bet I will. I told the lady when I was checking out that I was worried about them because the tank they got them out of was freezing! She told me that if they died to bring them back. She probably didn't expect me to come back tomorrow! Ha!!

Back
Top Bottom