Is my swordtail sick or in labor???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nik11676

Aquarium Advice Newbie
She's upside at the bottom of the tank, breathing and flapping her fins. She's been there for at least 4 hours now. Her belly looks like it's going to explode. It looks like it might have some discoloration, which is an indicator of labor.

I have a male swordfish in the tank as well, plus 2 mollies (male/female) and a pleca. All those fish are perfectly fine.

28 gallon tank, new filters & recent water change.

Very worried.

That sounds like a swim bladder issue, not birth, since she's upside down. :( What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

It sure does sound like a swim bladder issue also.

thanks

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, my female swordtail passed away a few hours after my post. I had thought it might be labor since the belly was so big and she had some discoloration. Well, that plus the fact that I have a male swordtail.

All my other fish are still doing quite well. I'll check my water levels tonight and probably do a partial water change.

Thanks again everyone :)

Sorry about your fish. :(
Let us know how it goes! She might have had internal parasites also, which can be contagious.

Back
Top Bottom