Is something going on here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434505061.425235.jpg

My female swordtail has been acting odd for about a week. Hiding. Only coming out to eat when it's almost gone. I notice her body seems to have an odd shape lately. Tail looks bent and she almost seems thin. Today I noticed it looks like someone has been chopping on her fins. Does this look like a sickness? A bully?

She's 1 of 3 female swordtails. There is one male. Other fish are black skirt tetras, septra tetras, neons, and 3 pepper cories.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Ph 7.2

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd do a water change. Nitrates are a little high for my liking. This will reduce stress on your fish. How long have your fish been in the tank? If they are new there could be some chasing or bullying that you have not noticed yet. Tetras are known to be fin nippers so she could be getting picked on. It could be the male swoardtail also, but most likely the tetras from what I'm thinking. Monitor them closely. Even set up camp in the room for several hours where your fish are and observe their behaviors. Watch some tv lol. That's what I do sometimes. Do they chase her around? Not let her eat? That would explain the slim body shape and hiding. It really does not look like a sickness to me. You could add some stress coat and aquarium salt to your tank, that would help heal her ripped fins. Remove her if her health declines anymore. You could even go as far with treating with melafix for the ripped fins and put her in a hospital tank. Good luck with your fish! I hope she's going to be okay.

I've seen the male chase her. But it seems like they all get their turn of getting picked on. There always seems to be one a bit sad, but they get better. I feel bad for her. I'll do a water change and the salt. I'll do a little stress coat too if it's not overkill

Thanks for the help

Columnaris.
The internal form.
The sword is old yes?
• Finally, since Columnaris is an opportunistic aerobic infection even a well maintained aquarium can suffer from a Columnaris infection with even a slight opportunity for infection (assuming this bacterial pathogen is present). A common portal for a Columnaris infection is simply an older and weaker fish. Old age allows many opportunistic infections to get a foothold in at least the fish in question.

Taken from;
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention
Had the same thing with my swords years ago.
It killed quickly(1-3 days after symptoms were noticeable).

Huh, I'll check out the link. Thanks

I got her about 4 mos ago, I think from my LPS. Don't know how old she was then. The tank has been up since January.

Back
Top Bottom