Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Is something wrong with my GBR?

Recently I got 2 GBRs,(1 male 1 female). The male is near 2 in and the female is about 1.5. I recently got them about 2 weeks ago. When I got them at my lfs they were pretty colored up and after transport they lost color. A few days later they were gaining some color back but then ick broke out in my tank from my clown pleco (had too high temp for that pleco resolved by moving to a different tank). After I cured it they lost their color again. It’s been a week since it healed and the male seem happier occasionally flashes blue but striped look kind of faded and the female just hides most of the time. I’m starting to think there is another reason they are not showing color. My dwarf Gourami sometimes gets a little nippy during feeding. Or could it be they are just not mature yet? ( btw I’m new to owning gbrs I have a 40 gallon breeder with 0 nitrates soft water and 6.8). Much help is needed for my understanding of these beautiful creatures!

Old 11-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How warm is your water?

Old 11-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkemp View Post
How warm is your water?
80.2 when light is on and 7.9 when it is off
Old 11-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would warm it up a little more. Rams like warm water
Old 11-11-2018, 11:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
I noticed my male gbr is showing more color but my female isn't and is still hiding. I noticed my male looks like he breathes normally but my female looks like she opens her mouth wider for air tends to stay at the bottom (but still can swim). Any suggestions?

here is a picture of the male (does he look fine?)

And the female

Thanks
Old 11-11-2018, 11:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
My male seems to be more colorful but not like in the store and my female just keeps hiding and looks worse. I've notice my male breathes normal while my opens her mouth wider, is this normal. She also tends to swim near the grave more (but still can swim normally) I'm also slowly cranking the temp up. Any other explanations?
Old 11-12-2018, 01:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

How about ammonia or nitrites?

How long has the tank been set up and is the filter media cycled? Have you recently changed the filter pad(s) washed in tap water?

Increasing a bit of heat sounds good.

As for the Pleco, did you add it back into the tank after the heat treatment?

Edit: Female especially looks stressed.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

82 to 84 degrees for these guys
Old 11-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My tank has been up for 5 months now, I do 25 percent water changes weekly, I have 2 aqueon 30 quiet flow filters and I recently just added plants. I’m thinking my dwarf Gourami is showing a little aggression towards them mainly at feeding time. I’m going to put him a separates for a couple of hours and see if there is any change in the female’s behavior. I checked the nitrates this morning and everything seems to be good. The male looks a little better from last night ( probably because of a higher temp) and my pleco has been rehomed to a friend who runs his tanks at lower temperatures

Btw if I take away the thing that causes stress when will their color comeback? Will a Gourami be fine in box for a couple of hour without being too stressed?
Old 11-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I moved the Gourami in the breeder box and I noticed that the female is out more. For some reason my male is guarding an algae wafer. The female tries to approach him but heís just chasing her away. I did notice the female is swimming around more without the dwarf Gourami.

Tags
gbr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com