is there something wrong with my tiger barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandi17201

Aquarium Advice Regular
All of a sudden my tiger barbs black stripes have a hint of green blue coloration...does anyone know what that means? I changed my water right after I noticed it. Can stirring up the stones cause something like this? Someone told me it can be something to do with chhlorine so after I changed the water I added dechlorinator. The other fish seem to be fine. Suggestions are greatly appreciated

That's completely normal, some fish the stripes are actually dark green and not black. That's where we get the green tiger barbs from through selective breeding of regular tiger barbs. Nothing to worry about, as long as he's active and eating.

Last edited:
Ok thanks...it was weird they were black then changed to a green tint....

All of a sudden my tiger barbs black stripes have a hint of green blue coloration...does anyone know what that means? I changed my water right after I noticed it. Can stirring up the stones cause something like this? Someone told me it can be something to do with chhlorine so after I changed the water I added dechlorinator. The other fish seem to be fine. Suggestions are greatly appreciated

It's called the Tyndall effect, their body reflects a green color over the black.
as Hukit said it's normal and it's how they breed the Green TigerBarb.

All of mine are showing the Green tints which looks great against the black.

I'm not sure if it comes and goes, but I'm finding as they get older thus larger, the Green is more pronounced. I've seen the same amount on mine for the last few weeks, so I'm guessing it's permanent.

Back
Top Bottom