Is this a bacterial infection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reynold

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I'm new to these forums so I hope I'm doing this right and apologies if I'm not. I'm also new to owning fish so sorry if I ask dumb questions.

We have one black moor and one fantail goldfish. They're both acting and eating fine except I've noticed the black moor has being producing white, long, hair-like feces (the fantail is pooping normally). I've seen this about 3 times in the past few days. The stuff I've read online says either constipation, internal parasite, or bacterial infection. I've attached an image, I was hoping someone could give me their opinion and possibly advice on how to fix the problem.

XZvlJbk.jpg

:thanks:

Welcome to AA!!!

Can you please provide us with some more information so we can better help you to figure out if there is an issue that needs to be addressed? Tank size? Filtration? Parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph)? Water change schedule (%/# wk)? Exact diet (brand/type foods fed) and how often they are fed? Also, how long have you had these guys? Thanks! :)

Looks like the fish is constipated (long trailing faeces with little colour in it.
Feed some live or frozen daphnia at least twice a week. Try feeding it exclusively for a couple of days and leave out any flake/pellet food.

Daphnia is a good balance of protein and roughage.

Fancy goldfish tend to be more prone due to the compaction of their internal organs.

Looks like the fish is constipated (long trailing faeces with little colour in it.
Feed some live or frozen daphnia at least twice a week. Try feeding it exclusively for a couple of days and leave out any flake/pellet food.

Daphnia is a good balance of protein and roughage.

Fancy goldfish tend to be more prone due to the compaction of their internal organs.

Its difficult to suggest anything here without more information from the OP. Long stringy waste can be caused any host of issues from poor water quality to improper diet to a parasite issue or bacterial infection. Jumping to conclusions without more information will not be beneficial to the resolving the OP's situation. Let's wait until he can provide us with further details. :)

Its difficult to suggest anything here without more information from the OP. Long stringy waste can be caused any host of issues from poor water quality to improper diet to a parasite issue or bacterial infection. Jumping to conclusions without more information will not be beneficial to the resolving the OP's situation. Let's wait until he can provide us with further details. :)

Meanwhile, a few feeds of daphnia an/or other live/frozen food will do the fish a lot of good. Clearly, whatever the problem is, the digestive system is being effected

Perhaps if you explained each of your 'host' of problems (or even a couple to be going on with), the OP may be able to eliminate each in turn, rather than having to wait for a further reply, which may delay the recovery the fish.

At least I have given one suggestion that is worth trying in the interim.

Anyone ever find out what this was? Curious as to what type of gut tract parasite or bad food he had eaten..........

Back
Top Bottom