Is this a good idea to stop my Ick/Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Bubble00

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 59×33×27 (Length×Height×Width) and inside it it has 2 Rosy Barb, 2 Goldfish, 3 Comets and 1 Angelfish. 1 of my Comet fish got an ich on its gills on Sunday and one of my Rosy Barb got an ich on its tail yesterday. I also have an Amazon Sword, 1 plant that might look like a Java Fern that I split them so they can provide cover for my RCS and a Pond Weed. I also have 5 RCS (one got eaten by my Angelfish RIP)
I have 2 infected fish by ich, the Comet got its ich on its gills on Sunday and my Rosy Barb got its spots yesterday. By the way, I put them in a quarantine bowl, since I only have 1 tank.
My comet only have 1 more white spot on it and I'm waiting for it to go off, so I can replace the water and put it to my main tank, is it good to do that once all spots on my fish is gone? (Same goes to my Rosy Barb).

Oh and btw, I put a hal teaspoon of normal salt in the tanka and everithing seems fine, no more ich, no dead plants or my RCS! Should I put a full teaspoon, or will full teaspoon will kill my plants and RCS
1507031270002.jpg20171003_183357.jpg

Oh and some edits, I don't have a gravel vacuum since my parents might not buy me one. The white spots on my Rosy Barb is on its tail.

When you say you added normal salt I hope that's not a reference to table salt as iodine in table salt is harmful to fish. I would recommend Api aquarium salt its good for ich and white spot I had a break out of white spot on my oscars increase the temp of the water by a few degrees and treat with aquarium salt also with your tank dimensions I would consider rehoming your comets and goldfish as they should not be mixed with tropical fish also word of warning anything that can fit in an angels mouth will normal cichlid behaviour

When you say you added normal salt I hope that's not a reference to table salt as iodine in table salt is harmful to fish. I would recommend Api aquarium salt its good for ich and white spot I had a break out of white spot on my oscars increase the temp of the water by a few degrees and treat with aquarium salt also with your tank dimensions I would consider rehoming your comets and goldfish as they should not be mixed with tropical fish also word of warning anything that can fit in an angels mouth will normal cichlid behaviour
Will a UV light kill some ich? I don't want to increase the temp since I have Rosy Barbs and I heard that their max temp they can hold is 27 °C

It might make a slight different if its a strong uv light but it will not kill the micro organisms that cause the ich. Also adding strong uv lighting you will need to increase the flow in the tank also. At 27°c the temp for a barb is already high as they should be around 78 degrees Fahrenheit which is around 25°c you may need to add extra oxygen to the water as higher temp deplete​ the oxygen levels. I would forget the uv light and get an air stone and oxygen pump then push the temp slowly to 28°c dose with aquarium salt and gravel vac ever second day for a week insure to replace the water at the same temperature. Alternatively google into garlic treatment for ich not my preference as would rather not have my tank smell like garlic soup?

It might make a slight different if its a strong uv light but it will not kill the micro organisms that cause the ich. Also adding strong uv lighting you will need to increase the flow in the tank also. At 27°c the temp for a barb is already high as they should be around 78 degrees Fahrenheit which is around 25°c you may need to add extra oxygen to the water as higher temp deplete​ the oxygen levels. I would forget the uv light and get an air stone and oxygen pump then push the temp slowly to 28°c dose with aquarium salt and gravel vac ever second day for a week insure to replace the water at the same temperature. Alternatively google into garlic treatment for ich not my preference as would rather not have my tank smell like garlic soup?
Since my parents might not allow me to buy siphon and heater, maybe they will allow me to buy the aquarium salt. Thanks for the tips tho, its really rare for me to see someone treating ich and worked perfectly. ☺

If you don't have a siphon, how are you removing water for your water changes? Or are you referring to a gravel vacuum?
Be prepared to treat the fish for a few weeks (depending on the ich lifecycle). Salt is not a good option for plants and shrimp. BTW, the angelfish and goldfish will eat the RCS.

Back
Top Bottom