Is this columnaris?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm treating with Maracyn Plus (two types of antibiotics in one liquid). It hasn't spread to any neons and one healthy serpae left in the main tank. The degradation of their faces (in QT) seems to have stopped, and a few fish are eating. The serpae tetra was the last to show signs and he's doing ok facially...except not eating. I'll update in the morning. Also I'm on the second dose, day 3 of meds.

Well officially I have lost all but two bloodfins and all but one serpae. I think they haven't got much longer though. I found one neon stuck to the intank bar but I never saw any outward symptoms...

The serpae and one of the two bloodfins is gone now. One is remaining, but I feel as though I will lose him too. All of the serpae so bought and all of the bloodfins are gone. The neons in the main tank are ok (I lost two randomly during treatment of the main tank but no others.) I don't know if the maracyn really helped at all. Possibly in the main tank to prevent the spread, but not for fish already infected. If I were to try treating again if I encounter this, I will try triple sulfa....let's hope I never do!

I found it diabolical once fish caught it and all summer was nail-biting as I knew it was still in the tank. Tri-sulpha would be worth a shot. One thing I'm going to try next time when I'm at the desperate stage (hopefully this won't happen) is driving the ph down to about 6 which it should hate. Desperate measures though.

There's 2 types of columnaris. There's the normal form of it which is a fairly slow acting infection that can take days to kill fish. The other type is the acute form which can wipe an entire tank in a single day.

You have the non evil version of it. Just be happy or else all your fish would be dead already :(

It wiped out my tank is an hour.

Back
Top Bottom