Is this columnaris :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhsoto94

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415737588.421864.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415737603.109226.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415737618.888089.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415737636.616212.jpg

I read rainbows are prone to getting it. I just want to know if I should isolate now, it actually just got out of qt.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It looks like that or fungus... I will wait for someone with more experience to chime in.

Yeah it does but I've been reading that columnaris is very commonly mistaken for fungus.

I would say yes, He would be best put into a ten gallon tank with just a heater for Quaranteen and given an antibiotic and anti-fungal together for not less than 7-10 days.
Here are some good choices, the important part is to get him out of there so it wont spread and keep the water clean and stable and the fish non-stressed :)
The first is an antibiotic, the second a anti-fungal, they usually go hand in hand these diseases fungus and Gram negative Bacterium infections. (Aeromonas, Pseudomonas, Flexibacterium Columnaris, AKA Mouth fungus AKA Saddleback Disease, ect )

Kanamycin + Furan2
Oxytetracycline + Methylene Blue
Maracyn-2 (minocycline) + Methylene Blue

I think your fish is in the early stages enough to be cured, And its not a bad idea to keep these meds on hand if one fish is showing it, but i can guarentee you clean water alone will not cure this, nor will the "FIXs" like melafix and primafix, you need something strong as its a somewhat tough disease. But it can be cured if caught on early enough and using powerful antibiotics.

Okay thanks for the input I've never had to deal with disease really other then ick when I first started out. Are all those medications commonly found or will I have to go to a pretty specialty fish store or online?

You may be able to find Maracyn-2 at a pet store
You should be able to find kanamycin at a "fish" store
The Oxytetracycline (which i love) you'll have to order

Back
Top Bottom