Is this columnaris or fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessMichaels

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I am not sure what is going on with one of my 13 blue neon tetras. I got them about a month ago and had no death so far. :dance:

It is eating, swimming normally, hangs out with the other neons. The decoloration has been covering progressively more of its body for a few weeks now. I'm attaching pictures of the neon in the bag I used to move him two days ago into a hospital tank with the same parameters as my main tank.

I don't see any sign of spores/bumps or deviation of the spine.

If it's fungus, I'm willing to take risk of leaving it live happily with the rest of the school. If not, I feel bad trying to treat one neon at a time so I may move them whole school in the hospital tank, but I am not sure what medication to provide.

The temperature is 25C / 77F

Any help identifying the issue would be very appreciated :)

Attachments

• Capture+_2018-12-14-00-02-14.jpg
    Capture+_2018-12-14-00-02-14.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Capture+_2018-12-14-00-00-18.jpg
    Capture+_2018-12-14-00-00-18.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 45
If the problem was Columnaris or NTD the Neon probably would have been dead by now. If all other Neons apear to be okay, them my guess is the pictured Neon is just genetically weak. It's body not able to absorb nutrients normally, resulting in the body fading.
Probably no cure.

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, it is really part of the school and roams around. This is what makes me question if he's really sick and/or contagious.

Back
Top Bottom