Is this definetly dropsy? w/ pic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrzap

Aquarium Advice Freak
dropsy.jpg

She happened to be in a good spot to take a picture this morning. I added primafix and melafix yesterday to the tank and have been doing small water changes daily.

Is this a confirmed dropsy and do you think with rest and good water conditions she can improve from this?

not sure - I don't see the scales sticking out in the picture. What are the other symptoms? Water params?

She isn't eating. She doesn't really do any free swimming. She mainly will dart up for air and come quickly back down and lay on a plant or scoot along the bottom. She is obviously off balance by this bulge and lays on her side as a result.

She got this when she was in temporary housing outside in a bucket after the tank she was in cracked.

I immediately noticed it when I dropped her in my new tank. It doesn't seem to have gotten any worse since she has been living in the real tank.

Squeeze a cooked pea out of it's shell and try feeding that to him, sometimes it helps with constipation.

I would venture to say its either swimbladder disease (not really a disease) or constipation. Dropsey isn't a disease either but rather a symptom of others that have progressed beyond treatment. The "pineconing" you see is the final straw that breaks your fish's back. Once you see this, the fish is all but treatable.

Back
Top Bottom