Is this ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hecurcia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have never seen ich before. I just got a new angelfish and I am not sure if the white spots on him/she is ich, something else, or that is how angels normally look. ( i am new to angelfish).
angel.jpg

angel2.jpg
Thanks.

It kind of looks like it to me. Is the spot between the two fins fluffy looking though? Usually ich looks like grains of salt, not fluffy like cotton.

Thanks. It actually looks like the spots are a solid white. Some new spots appeared last night and others just went away. Good thing I did not put him on my main tank yet. I guess it looks like ich.

Hard to tell. Whatever you do don't put him in your main tank until you are sure. If it is ich I use a product called Quick Cure and it gets the job done in about 2-3 days.

I wasn't planning to put him in the main tank yet. I know that the majority of angelfish come with some sort of disease due the handling they go through. So I was planning on waiting (two weeks) until I am sure he is healthy. I will try the quick cure if I see him/her struggle with the high water temperature (86F). Thanks.

It does look like ich. Spot on the pec fin, for sure. If so, you have to treat until there is no sign of it for at least four days. Read up on ick.. the parasite is only vulnerable to treatment when free swimming. That's after it drops off the fish and develops from that stage into the free swimmer, which goes looking for a host.

Salt works very well to kill ich, raise temp to 80, use salt, should work. There is a strain of super ick around now that can take much longer to resolve, but hopefully this is not that one. Just like super bacteria.. some of them have become resistant to some of the meds used to control it. Best to use salt, it's less costly and effective.

The 'skeptical aquarist' is a great site for info that is reliable on many topics, including this one.

Thanks a lot, I have been reading a lot about ich as it is the first time i see this disease. I will treat the tank right away. Thank you all for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom