is this ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lscotty

Aquarium Advice Regular
83799-albums13152-picture61420.jpg

It looks more like little cotton balls, the few white spots almost look like sand from the tank also and everything I've been reading says ich looks like grains of salt. So just wondering if I need to pull out the quarantine tank

It looks more like little cotton balls, the few white spots almost look like sand from the tank also and everything I've been reading says ich looks like grains of salt. So just wondering if I need to pull out the quarantine tank

yes i would quarantine, it looks like a bacterial infection. what are your water params?

Water temp is 78 degrees. Using api master test kit Ph 7.9, ph is around 8 out of the tap. Ammonia maybe a slight color change so maybe .1ppm. Nitrite 0. Nitrate 5ppm. Fish have only been in the tank for about 2 weeks after a fishless cycle and the rest all look fine no spots or cotton looking stuff. Others in the tank are 3 clown loaches, 4 peppered corys, 2 comet goldfish. Goldfish are temporary and will be headed to a pond soon. If I left out anything that will help just let me know

was the tank that you bought it from in good condition? i would put him in qt for a few weeks and do tons of water changes. should clear him right up, and watch all of your other fish in the mean time.

Ya I went to 4 diffrent LFS and picked the one with the cleanest tank and went back there when I got him, no sick or dead fish in the tank water and tank was clean. I just set up the qt. Had the filter running on the main tank already so I'll put him out. I do have Kordon rid-ich plus that treats ich and other fungus stuff and API T.C. tetracycline treats bacterial stuff. Should I use either one? Or just do frequent water changes? If I do use them should I use any on the main tank or just the qt? This is my first tank so still learning but I think I've got basics.

After searching for the past few hours I'm leaning towards it being a fungus. I'm leaning towards this because I had a cory dissapear about 4 or 5 days ago I moved everything around and took out decor looking but never could find him. I finally found him yesterday when I did a big water change and took out all decor one at a time. Looks like a dead rotting fish could cause fungus if the fish have been stressed. Does this sound like a possibility to anyonw more knowledgeable then me?

the cory could have died from something else and just rotted away. its a possibility, but fungal infections are much more rare than bacterial infections. if its a fungal infection you may need to qt all of the fish.... it will spread to them all

That would suck so hopefully it is bacterial. Pleco is in qt and ill keep a close eye on everyone else. Will do a big water change tomorrow also just in case. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom