Is this neon tetra disease??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bullbo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys I was just wondering if this is neon tetra disease? Only one of my tetras are showing these symptoms and I initially thought it was ich as there were three or four white bits on his body but I now noticed the dark patches and his bloated and seems a bit out of shape? Ideas please.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1388519659759.jpg
    1388519659759.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 1388519690808.jpg
    1388519690808.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 1388519715404.jpg
    1388519715404.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 107
Hi, are those cardinal tetras? They are meant to be more hardy than neons for NTD / won't get it as readily. Are water specs / temp / ph ok and fairly stable?

Is the fish still eating / schooling / swimming well?

Might also be a bacterial infection.

Hi delapool yeah cardinals. The water parameters are as they should be and are constant. He is still schooling eating and as far as I can tell swimming as normal. None of the other fish have any sign of stress or disease what so ever.

Neon tetra disease is passed to other fish via gastrointestinal route. Lord knows I had my bout with it a few months ago. I only stopped it by watching the fish closely. As soon as one of my neons or rummy nose showed signs of the dark internal mass and swimming crazy I would pull it out and euthanize it before the other fish got a chance to nip or nibble on its carcass. No medicine worked. I lost eight neons and four rummys before I stopped it. The QT tank is your best friend here. I learned, or relearned that lesson! There may be a more sophisticated explanation of the disease but I haven't found it on the net yet.
Good luck, OS.

Thanks OS. I dont want to euthanize him if im nit sure its NTD but dony want to loose more fish either. The white spots now look a little fuzzy is this a sign of bacterial infection?

Yeah, white fuzzy spots could be a fungus or bacteria. You can try Miracyn 2. It's kinda expensive but seems to be about as good as it gets. Just watch and if it really gets to laying over then it's too late to hope. Get it out of there quick. OS.

actually kanamycin and furan 2 works better but minocycline alone will kill the bacterial aspect but with every bacteria there seems to be secondary fungal, so keep this in mind. Neon tetra presents itself as black streak along the side of the fish towards the back. It is impossible to kill and very tough to stop at all. if it is that then there not much you can do it cept don't give any fish away to others and destroy all fish and stearilize all tanks and equiptment in bleach and get new substrate and rinse it throughly. My own battle with NTD aka Tetrahyema happend years ago with my guppies when i was using playsand. If you use playsand you MUST rinse the hell out of it and soak it overnight in some kind of disenfectent.

Back
Top Bottom