Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm super worried as I'm a first time goldfish owner and know little about this, is this normal or is he poorly?

IMG_2620.jpg

From the picture it looks like your gold fish is hanging near the bottom of the bowl. If my math is correct your goldies are housed in container a little less than 2 US gallons. If the fish are lathargic it's probably due to Ammonia. Probably would be best to change half the water and hope for the best. Unless you get a much larger tank, with a power filter, you will have to change half the tank water every day to keep the fish alive. Be sure to read The post "how to cycle your tank" on this site. It will explain all you need to know about the N. Cycle. Good luck.

From the picture it looks like your gold fish is hanging near the bottom of the bowl. If my math is correct your goldies are housed in container a little less than 2 US gallons. If the fish are lathargic it's probably due to Ammonia. Probably would be best to change half the water and hope for the best. Unless you get a much larger tank, with a power filter, you will have to change half the tank water every day to keep the fish alive. Be sure to read The post "how to cycle your tank" on this site. It will explain all you need to know about the N. Cycle. Good luck.

They're perfectly fine behaviour wise i was just worried as to wether what's happened in the photo is normal

Your tank is waaaaaay to small for goldfish. Goldfish need a minimum of 20gallon per fish. They may look "perfectly fine" but I can assure you they are not or will not be soon. Best return the fish to the shop and get some shrimp or snails instead.

Yeah, that tank is WAY too small. If those are the 50 cent goldfish, you need at least a 75 gallon tank. That may still be too small. You may be able to rescue a betta in there. Just get a filter and heater. Don't forget about cycling

Yeah, that tank is WAY too small. If those are the 50 cent goldfish, you need at least a 75 gallon tank. That may still be too small. You may be able to rescue a betta in there. Just get a filter and heater. Don't forget about cycling

My fish are only 4cm big atm and I've been told that I need 4 pints per 5cm fish and there's 16 pints in the tank

Your local fish store is wrong. Goldfish can grow up to a foot long. Their growth will be stunted SO SEVERELY, they will die due to a curved spine. I would not recommend buying from that store or taking their advice again. @idol1 is a GREAT goldfish breeder, who has great advice. You should talk to him.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265871

Please do your own research before buying pets, especially fish. Most pet stores are not informed, don't care or out right lie in order to sell customers things. It looks like that goldfish is fancy, so doesn't need as big of a tank as a common (who should really be in ponds). If they both look like that one, you would need a 40gallon tank for both of them. If that is not feasible for you, I second the idea of returning them now, because they will die in a tank that small.

And then before buying anything else, research keepinh fish, how to do a fishless cycle etc. This can be a difficult hobby sometimes even when you know what you are doing. Without experience and knowledge it is an expensive and frustrating experience that usually leads to a person getting out of it fairly quickly.

Your tank is waaaaaay to small for goldfish. Goldfish need a minimum of 20gallon per fish. They may look "perfectly fine" but I can assure you they are not or will not be soon. Best return the fish to the shop and get some shrimp or snails instead.

No need to be rude.

No need to be rude.
I don't believe burger wife was being rude just trying to explain that the tank is too small for goldfish...that tank is the equivalent of you being trapped in a tiny bathroom with a friend and no working toilet... (stuff piles up) it's not safe for your fish..they need more room to swim and grow up..no body here is rude...blunt maybe but not rude[emoji6]

This tank is too small even for one betta
fish bowls are the worst thing for any fish
Buy a larger tank with a filter and you are fine

I don't believe burger wife was being rude just trying to explain that the tank is too small for goldfish...that tank is the equivalent of you being trapped in a tiny bathroom with a friend and no working toilet... (stuff piles up) it's not safe for your fish..they need more room to swim and grow up..no body here is rude...blunt maybe but not rude[emoji6]

I didn't ask if my tank was suitable I purely wanted to know if my fish having a string like substance hanging (shown in picture) was normal

I didn't ask if my tank was suitable I purely wanted to know if my fish having a string like substance hanging (shown in picture) was normal

This tank is only a short term solution as big tanks are quite expensive

I think that you should reread the rules of the forum...we are all here because of our love of an "expensive" hobby..and for the humane care of them...those little goldies are suffering and can't tell you anything...yes this is expensive tanks,filters,lights ,food,heaters and just generally caring for your pet is expensive as with any animal !

To answer your question yes it's normal..it's fish waste(poop) the color looks to be the same as the food and it's not stringy

Back
Top Bottom