Is this ok ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not sure where to post this but I noticed some white fuzzy stuff on my heater... Is it maybe BB?? I know the shrimp that I did a fishless cycle on had some white fuzz but idk if this is the same.. Also the glass has some white looking spots ??? What do u guys think ?? It's stocked with 7 rummynose and I'm doing frequent PWC. Any ideas ??? For some reason it won't let me post pictures :(

It's saying exceeds my quota?? Idk ... Anyways... Wish I could post a picture !!!

beneficial bacteria is not visible to the naked eye. It's probably a type of algae. It may have been cooked by the heater to cause it to look that way. These are total guesses though.

Hmmmm. Hard to know without a picture. It may be fungus though. Sometimes white, fuzzy fungus appears when you are accidentally overfeeding. I have also been told that their is a type of algae that can look white. It also be a bacterial bloom (also potentially caused by over-feeding). I had an issue with white fuzz for a bit and I had to cut back my the amount I was feeding them and do a few more water changes a week until it subsided.

They aren't really eating much so I'm trying to be careful. I did drop in two very small sinking pellets ( shrimp by hikari ) b4 church and when I got home I was going to clean the left overs out but they were gone.. So hopefully they are eating. I'm thinking a B bloom. Idk whats on the glass looms a little like hairspray!? So maybe it is white algae??

I did have disease in that tank but I tore it down and rinsed everything in VERY hot water and set it back up ( obviously for a while ) without fish! I really hope it's just some sort of white algae bc I have rummies and a Cory and I would hate to use any medication on them for fungus.... I do have some melafix on hand if needed

Now I'm paranoid bc my pleco had white fuzzy stuff when he died! Ugh!! And the rummys have not settled yet and are still staying hidden and stressed alot!! Please God let it be ok! Lol I think it's more like a bacterial bloom or something like that that is visible bc it is on the glass as well...hopefully :D there was aslo some stability by seachem used in the tank when cycling as well so it could be from that? Its not in any other tanks that ice used stability in though...

I would just keep up with the water changes and be super careful to clean up extra food. You can use a net or paper towel to clean up some of teh white stuff too. Thats what I did. Also, if a dead fish grew it, that points to fungus. Don't freak out too much yet. As long as none of it is on the live fish, you are ok. Water changes are probably the key. I try to avoid using medications if I can. Like I said, I got my white fuzz issue to abate by netting out the white, doing more frequent pwc, and watching how much I fed them very carefully.

absolutangel04 said:
I would just keep up with the water changes and be super careful to clean up extra food. You can use a net or paper towel to clean up some of teh white stuff too. Thats what I did. Also, if a dead fish grew it, that points to fungus. Don't freak out too much yet. As long as none of it is on the live fish, you are ok. Water changes are probably the key. I try to avoid using medications if I can. Like I said, I got my white fuzz issue to abate by netting out the white, doing more frequent pwc, and watching how much I fed them very carefully.

I tried to get it off the heater... It's pretty stubborn. I wonder also If It could be build up from extra water conditioner? I've been adding extra water conditioner bc I don't have any stress coat

I tried to get it off the heater... It's pretty stubborn. I wonder also If It could be build up from extra water conditioner? I've been adding extra water conditioner bc I don't have any stress coat
That is a possibility, but my guess is still the other culprite I mentioned. I don't know what sort of water conditioner you use, but IME that stuff dispersed pretty rapidly.

absolutangel04 said:
That is a possibility, but my guess is still the other culprite I mentioned. I don't know what sort of water conditioner you use, but IME that stuff dispersed pretty rapidly.

This is after I wiped a little off... But I don't think it's a fungus... It's on the white tube too... I use aqueon water conditioner and aqueon ammonia neutralizer. I add the conditioner bc I'm paranoid. I think it could be a build up of that. Hopefully :)
Let me know what u think with the video :) thanks so much

Here's the glass ( there is food floating bc I just tried to feed them )

I am having the same problem... Lots of White, cotton like fuzz on the wood in my tank. I took it out and cleaned it carefully... But it came right back. I have a 60 litre with a guppy and a bristle nosed cat fish (lost other fish recently). I have been doing 25% water changes every other day, with aquarium salt and chlorine remover. My levels are all good (I have sorted the water after high nitrate and nitrite killed my other fish, bad newbie!!) and I can't tell what else it could be. Plus I now think my remaining fish have White spot. I was planning to medicate for that, any recommendations? Wondered if it could be linked to the White bloom?

BertoCat said:
I am having the same problem... Lots of White, cotton like fuzz on the wood in my tank. I took it out and cleaned it carefully... But it came right back. I have a 60 litre with a guppy and a bristle nosed cat fish (lost other fish recently). I have been doing 25% water changes every other day, with aquarium salt and chlorine remover. My levels are all good (I have sorted the water after high nitrate and nitrite killed my other fish, bad newbie!!) and I can't tell what else it could be. Plus I now think my remaining fish have White spot. I was planning to medicate for that, any recommendations? Wondered if it could be linked to the White bloom?

I have heard of drift wood doing that. Make sure that drift wood isn't rotting. Everyone here recommends the heat/salt treatment... Maybe post a thread in unhealthy fish and list what kind of fish and such and u will get better advise to ur reticular situation.
As for mine I'm not sure whats going on! Lol lol

Ah! My computer is hiding your picture from me! I'll work on that. Thanks for posting one though. That should be helpful in identifying you problem!

absolutangel04 said:
Ah! My computer is hiding your picture from me! I'll work on that. Thanks for posting one though. That should be helpful in identifying you problem!

I posted a link to a video bc it won't let me upload pics :( tears! I appreciate the help

Back
Top Bottom