Is this popeye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I all, I'm a little concerned one of my angels has popeye.

Tank details.
30 gal planted
3 angels
3 otos
3 zebra loach
2 upside down catfish
3 amano shrimp

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm

(Tap nitrates are 10ppm)

I do weekly 40-50% water changes.
About a month ago I lost an angel randomly- also had bulging eyes and belly.
Have had the angels for a year now- other fish I've had for around 6 years.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• image-3847241910.jpg
    image-3847241910.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 170
Yes, I would treat with some salt and if not then do a big water change. Don't know go much on popeye, I would google it.

Another pic

Attachments

• image-3377853154.jpg
    image-3377853154.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 160
  • image-1067709851.jpg
    image-1067709851.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 173
Thanks for the reply. I have done a 50% water change and added what little epsom salt i have to the tank.

Tomorrow i will be able to purchase some supplies and move the fish to another tank.

What treatments would people suggest i get? Ive read about popeye being a symptom of an undelying bacterial problem or possibly septicemia.
On closer inspection the fish does look a little pink around its pectoral fins.

Behaviour wise it seems a little shy and less active than usual. On a plus side it is still eating though.

Any suggestions would be great, im in the UK , its night time here, but tomorrow i'll be able to get some supplies and hopefully help this fish to survive.

Yes almost 100 sure it's popeye, beautifull fish though, I really hope you can do something about it, and yes bacteria is probly a problem, try melafix I've heard of it helping popeye

Yes melafix and salt and very very clean water help with popeye. Definetly do 50% water changes. Try and keep your nitrates under 10ppm while treating

So, update...

Picked up some Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria, 50% waterchange when I got home and then dosed the tank as per instructions.

This fish seems ok, a little subdued but still keen for food and comes to the front of the tank when i walk in the room, as normal.

The treatment requires a second dose in 4 days time so we shall wait and see.

Thanks for the responses.

Ok so after 3 days I wouldnt say this fish is much better, although I wouldnt really say it's much worse.

A couple of things i've noticed:

-Both eyes seem to catch the light and reflect a redish colour on the black pupil part of the eye, I'd never seen this before, and none of the other angels eyes seem to do it.

-Her mouth is opening and closing rather a lot

-She spends her time quietly hiding amoung the amazon sword leaves until i apporach the tank, when she comes darting out.

-When feeding she doesnt seem to be able succesfully grab much food, kinda misses and then gives up and seems a bit disorientated (maybe because her eyes are bulging sideways, her forward vision is not good?)

-There is possibly some kind of light brown spot on the side of her body-something i dont think was there before!?

Any thoughts people?

Is the brown area you are referring to is what is pictured in your second set of pictures? Or is there a new development?

Hi, no it's not what you can see in the pic, it's a tiny spot on the other side of the fish. Not ich tiny, probably about the circumference of an uncooked grain of rice!
Silly thing is I'm not sure when this appeared.

This is currently what the fish spends most of its time doing. Staying stationary in the water towards the back of the tank. Eyes bulging.

Attachments

• image-2607342075.jpg
    image-2607342075.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 129
Yes it is. Then what? I don't know what treatment to use other than what I'm already tying. I don't have access to all the antibiotic foods etc that you have in the US?

Give me a plan people!

I've set up a QT tank.
-10US Gal Biorb
-Heater
-Airstone filter
-seeded bogwood + 1 plant

Filled with 1/3 from main tank, 2/3 fresh water.

All up and running, wating for me to transfer the fish (which i'll do once i have a plan).

One question, Currently the fish is on day 5 of a 8, treatment of Interpet anti internal bacteria. Should i wait this out before moving to the QT?

Suggestions if you'd be so kind, I dont see that this treatment its on at the moment is doing much.
I really want to able to save this fish, I think i have a chance as it doesnt seem to be deterioting quickly (if at all). Plus I have a 125gal tank coming soon for these angels!

Thanks,
Dave (y)

The best I can I suggest here (beyond considering consulting an aquatic vet) is to finish the present course of treatment. Then you can try Esha 2000 or Waterlife's Myaxin. Both are available in your country and are antibacterial products. The Esha product is the stronger of the two. If a vet is a possibility, they can provide you with antibiotics. Hope this helps some!

Thanks a lot jlk, appreciate your help with this fish. I have ordered some esha 2000, should get it tomorrow. As for the fish, still seems fairly stable. Seems dead keen for food when I drop it in, darts over to eat then kinda hesitates, taking very little in the end. Swimming about more than it was. So that's good. I have performed a large water change on the tank (it's still in the main tank at the mo), as the interpet treatment should now be finished. I kinda feel reluctant to move it to the qt tank I've set up. I just don't want to stress it even more. Is it a risk to my other fish? They all seem fine at the moment. If qt is best, then that's what I'll do- and start the esha. Thanks, Dave.

What other fish or creatures are in your tank? I would recommend using the Esha in qt if possible. Some of its ingredients may stain permanently and it also contains copper which will harm inverts and may harm scaleless fish. I would offer some type of cover to reduce stress in qt such as real or fake plants. Let's see how everything is going at the end of the present product your using and go from there! :)

3 angels
3 otos
3 zebra loach
1 YoYo Loach
2 upside down catfish
3 amano shrimp -so i would have to QT for esha.

Fish's behaviour seems to be improving day by day. Shes swimming about with the other 2 angels more and more. Her eyes are still bulging a lot, however. :eek:

I didnt receive the treatment today, so probably will get it tomorrow.

Thanks.

One reason the medicine is not working well, is the presence of high organics. That's why is always better to treat in a bare bottom tank with fresh new aged water.

I would move the fish to the QT tank and finish the treatment in there. Change the water out every day at least 50% and redose the meds. This is the more $$ way to go but your fish get a fresh dose of drugs every day, with clean water increases their chance of recovering.

Back
Top Bottom