Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would not give up yet!!! Keep his water healthy and hope for the best! Have you tried offering him any pea or spinach yet?

Old 02-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tested your tap water to see if it has ammonia? You can use Epsom salts make sure it doesn't have any perfumes or anything, I use 1 tsp per gallon. Put it in a glass to dissolve completely add 1/2 to the tank wait 30 minutes to an hour then add the rest. This will help with swelling & usually works as a laxative. Did you say his current tank is heated? If not that can be a problem, they like their water 78-80F. As previously stated don't give up on him just yet. Are you using a good water conditioner such as Prime?

Old 02-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I did offer him some spinach and he wouldn't even go near it.

Like I said earlier I don't have the money to buy any epsom salt. (At least I'm pretty sure I did I may be mixing forums.) And I don't have Prime conditioner either. I will buy some as soon as I can though.
His tank is normally heated yes, but with doing the consecutive water changes to remove all the ammonia the temp seems to have dropped. (Was apparently doing that wrong, but I will remedy that now....if he lives that long.)

This thread on the other site gives a good idea of what is going on and saves me the frustration typing it all out again. Euthanize?

I'm sorry if this seems snappy in any way, I stayed up all night trying to find a way to help him and I'm literally at my wits end right now, tying that in with exhaustion I might sound a little rude.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #14

The biggest factor now is that I don't know if he can live without a functioning labyrinth organ, and if he can what his quality of life will be like. A lot of people are not addressing this question when I bring it up and focus on the heat which I'm working on. Even if my water perams are perfect I don't know how well he'll function with his organ being wounded.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasdio View Post
The biggest factor now is that I don't know if he can live without a functioning labyrinth organ, and if he can what his quality of life will be like. A lot of people are not addressing this question when I bring it up and focus on the heat which I'm working on. Even if my water perams are perfect I don't know how well he'll function with his organ being wounded.
I'm sorry I don't see anything about his labyrinth on this thread. What makes you think there's a problem with his labyrinth? Sorry if I missed here.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #16

Ah no, I linked to another thread where I had a better outline of his situation.

Right now I have him in a 2.5 gallon with half the water gone because he's having problems swimming and getting to the surface that about 76 degrees. (I'm slowly bumping it so I don't cause him more strain.) I also have a towel draped over the tank to keep the air above it humid and warm.
As for the fish itself, he's still pale in color and has bubbles roll out of his gills when he goes to the surface for air. I'm also pretty positive he has inflamed gills so he's breathing pretty heavily when he's under water.

If you want a more thorough read of what's been going on click the link I have posted above. c:
Old 02-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm on that one as well & read through it. You're getting good advice, unfortunately its a bit of a guessing game since fish don't talk. Hoping for the best for him.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #18

Thanks I appreciate it. c:

I've come to the conclusion that I'll be keeping him in this tank for a few days-maybe less-and see if he improves at all. If he continues to stay like he is, or in any way declines in health I'll be making the decision to euthanize. Like I said in the other forum I don't want the rest of his life to just be sitting in the bottom of a tank being motionless, but we'll see where it goes from here.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand that. I've had to make that decision before myelf, its not easy but sometimes its for the best.

Tags
betta, bloated, constipation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com