Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

is this velvet disease

I have a Australian rainbow that look like it has a gold dust on it and it has developed black lines going down its side and some black dots on its gills it is not rubbing and is active and eats but I am still concerned that it might be velvet. I also have a cherry barb, corry, Dalmatian molly, and a bumblebee catfish. I do not know mush about fish diseases and natural coloring of fish. So If someone could tell me if there is something wrong with my fish it would be great appreciated.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish345 View Post
I have a Australian rainbow that look like it has a gold dust on it and it has developed black lines going down its side and some black dots on its gills it is not rubbing and is active and eats but I am still concerned that it might be velvet. I also have a cherry barb, corry, Dalmatian molly, and a bumblebee catfish. I do not know mush about fish diseases and natural coloring of fish. So If someone could tell me if there is something wrong with my fish it would be great appreciated.
Posting pics will help. Australian rainbows will have yellow coloring to them that could be mistaken as gold.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish infected with Oodinium / Velvet become lethargic, but still continue to eat for a while. The yellow dusting of parasites are best observed under dim lighting. It's an awful disease, much worse than Ick. Fortunately not as common. Don't panic. As noted post some pics. Oodinium kills fairly quickly, so if your fish isn't declining chances are the problem is not Velvet. IMO, copper based meds work better against Velvet.

Tags
disease, sea, velvet

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com