Isolated flashing...an anomaly or cause for concern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,

Yesterday my Bolivian Ram did something odd. Right after feeding he squeezed his caudal fin together, shook it rapidly and put his body flat on the substrate for about 2 seconds. I have been watching him and every other fish in the tank like a hawk since then...and there have been no repeat performances or any signs of concern.

Parameters are 0, 0, 5-10, pH-7.4, temp 75. Behavior, appetite and physical appearance are all good.

Any reason to pull the panic switch? Maybe he's just quirky and was reaching into the substrate to retrieve some food? Is a single appearance of what appears to be flashing definitive proof of a problem?

I wouln't worry too much, but I am no expert. One of my cherry barbs did this and I freaked out, but I just kept an eye on him. She hasn't done it again, so I would just watch the ram. Maybe they just get itches like humans.:ermm:

I don't know about that one .... It's as strange as my Neon Rosy swimming in erratic CCW circles Friday morning, sometimes on it's side, by the afternoon, swimming normally. No idea why:huh:

Yeah I would say one occurrence of flashing is nothing to be alarmed at but worth keeping an eye on.

Back
Top Bottom