Ivan killed my Oscar!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChileRelleno

Aquarium Advice Addict
I live in Mobile, AL and hurricane Ivan killed our power and killed my Oscar and our two Plecs :evil: .
Our Betta girls were happy and totally oblivious, they even seemed happier with no filtration/water flow and being Belotiidae family fish (air breathers) the lower oxygen levels didn't bother them at all...
But our poor Oscar couldn't handle it and succumbed to lack of oxygen due to high temps/loss of filtration.
I will be buying a small generator to power our tanks... Not to mention the A/C, TV and a light or two. Even if it only gets used very very seldom it'll be worth the cost.

Chile, I am so sorry to hear that.
We have a couple of battery operated air pumps (we bought them when we moved). I encourage everyone to get a battery operated air pump or two for when power fails.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I also second menagerie's battery powered air pump suggestion.

Chile, I'm sorry to hear that :( I live next to you in Georgia and was hit by Ivan also but managed to not lose power thank goodness or I would have lost my Oscar tank and others.......

ChileRelleno, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of the fish - that really adds to the stress you are already under - it really sucks. Good luck getting things back in order and I hope we'll get through the rest of this hurricane season unscathed!

I think I've watched more Weather Channel this summer than is healthy for a productive adult, lol!

I'm really sorry to hear about your fish, Chile. Definitely get battery powered air pumps for your tanks, they saved my fish after Charley. I got mine at PetsMart for $12.99 each. They run on 2 D batteries and turn on automatically when the power goes out.

I'm SOOOO sorry to hear the news :( How long was your power out? From Frances we had 3 hours out, on & off every half hour for a few hours, then 3 hours out...Oscy & Plecy were fine. I have a Pennplax back up air pump-the kind that stays plugged in so it knows when the power goes out & then goes on. Gives me much peace of mind & of course gives them much needed oxygen...I am DEFINATELY going to get a UPS for next season though. I mentioned this in my post in the lounge under the how to survive a hurricane post, but I would like one that could run the 3 filters (2 hob, 1 canister) for 2+ weeks without spending a thou! So the best I can do...Any info would be appreciated! Oh-cg just noticed you mentioned the back up I have... Anyway, Energy to all those affected by Jeanne (& Frances, & Ivan, & Charley... :| ) !!

I agree those back up air pumps are life savers. Or should I say fish savers. We've had power outages due to storms and in the winter we have lost power for up to 3 days. Matter of fact last year, wasn't great for winter power. We were the only circuit in the neighborhood out and we were out until they could trace the problem. We had to go stay elsewhere at night, but I knew my fishies were ok for oxygen. I just had to make sure the house was kept air tight at night time to not lose too much heat. *whew* talk about close calls....

Rose

Back
Top Bottom