Jerky beta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmeliaB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All.

Can you please help me with my beta fish? He swims really jerky like he is trying to shake something off his head or he is having a seizure. He also turns on his side and swims really fast all the way across the tank.

Any ideas on what is wrong? He also won't eat.

Thanks.

Amelia

I cycled the tank for a month before I put him in and I am currently at 0 Ammo, 0 Nitrites, and 10-20 Nitrates.

Im trying to rule things out to try & figure out whats going on. Are you using water conditioner (or did you recently change it) & temp matching? Is there some source of aeration (downfall from filter, air stone, etc)? Did you recently change or add new food? Am/nitrites was my 1st guess but your water looks fine! Any chance someone used something like febreeze/aersol spray near his tank or you changed some aspect of his tank (new decoration, filter, gravel)? Is there anything different about his appearance (spots, color fading, ragged fins)?

I use Seachem Prime but I only put it in the bucket before I put the water in the tank. He has been making the movement for awhile now, so I don't know that I can pinpoint it to a water change. I haven't changed it since last week. I do not match the temp before I put the water in the tank. The tank is at 82 degrees. (How do you match the temp?) Because he is a Beta, I have the filter on the lowest setting and I baffled it with a soda bottle. The water level is also pretty high so that it does not disrupt the flow too much. I did just add the soda bottle about a week ago. I have not changed food. But he won't eat so I have been alternating between pellets and blood worms. No spray; I'm the only one that lives there. I have not added anything besides the baffle mentioned above. His head/chin area is very faded, almost white.

The pH is 8.2 always. I don't know how to get it down. :-(

I use Seachem Prime but I only put it in the bucket before I put the water in the tank. He has been making the movement for awhile now, so I don't know that I can pinpoint it to a water change. I haven't changed it since last week. I do not match the temp before I put the water in the tank. The tank is at 82 degrees. (How do you match the temp?) Because he is a Beta, I have the filter on the lowest setting and I baffled it with a soda bottle. The water level is also pretty high so that it does not disrupt the flow too much. I did just add the soda bottle about a week ago. I have not changed food. But he won't eat so I have been alternating between pellets and blood worms. No spray; I'm the only one that lives there. I have not added anything besides the baffle mentioned above. His head/chin area is very faded, almost white.
Temperature matching is easy! If you dont have a thermometer handy, use your hand to 'match' the new waters temp to the temp of your tank. A big temp swing is very stressful for a fish (and can even be fatal). Prime is fine to use for pwcs (which you should do weekly). Im not quite sure what you mean by using a soda bottle but i would remove it from the tank because it may be releasing toxins. That leaves us with ph-have you tested the ph of your tap water (or whatever water source your using for pwcs)? I am very interested to see what it is! How big is your tank?

I bought a bunch of the glass thermometers when they were on sale and use those to temp match just to try and get it pretty close lol I don't trust my judgement.

Does he have any white or stringy poop? He eating well? The reason I suggested parasites is bc I've heard that fish dart and jerk with parasites.

My ph is around 8 as well that shouldn't be a problem and actually re reading your post sounds like he's maybe fighting a current. Do u have a strong filter or anything? Bettas like calm water.

Since u said u added a soda bottle he may be trying to adjust to the difference in the strength or direction of the water flow. You can def tell when bettas swim through currents they do kinda go on their side...

Back
Top Bottom