Jungle medicated food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, if you start with a food lacking in all the needed nutrition it is good to add some (this still doesn't produce a complete and balanced diet). The problems is that this is guess work at best unless you are also an animal nutritionist. I prefer to leave it to the professionals and stick with high quality foods that are nutritionally complete and balanced without me having to mess with them.

Fishguy2727 said:
Look online, in local shops, or even Petco. Even if small shops don't carry it they should be able to order it in for you.

Ok I checked PetSmart and Walmart. I'll check Petco. Thanks

George9 said:
I think I got mine from walmart online

Oooo ok :) sweet! I have a job interview in the morning next to a Petco lol so I guess I can check there If they don't have it I'll have to look online.

Yes, if you start with a food lacking in all the needed nutrition it is good to add some (this still doesn't produce a complete and balanced diet). The problems is that this is guess work at best unless you are also an animal nutritionist. I prefer to leave it to the professionals and stick with high quality foods that are nutritionally complete and balanced without me having to mess with them.

Even with fresh frozen raw food and live food (an attempt for balanced diet), it will always be difficult to continuously supply fish a balanced diet, especially carnivorous. I dont see how anyone could overdose a fish with inexpensive rich vitamins. Any vitamin the fish doesnt use will come out the other end of their body. In addition to our attempt feed our pets a healthy diet, the vitamin water aids any deficiency from the food they eat. As long as the fish is not being overfed constantly, the added benefits will prolong their life.

Fishguy2727 said:
Look online, in local shops, or even Petco. Even if small shops don't carry it they should be able to order it in for you.

Found some NLS Thera A at Petco. Thanks so much. Should I just continue feeding the angels and rams the NLS and watch for any other symptoms? I don't know why all of the danios were affected by whatever that was..

Actually the digestive system doesn't look at what is in the digestive tract and say 'ooh, I need some of that, let me grab it, don't need any of that it can keep going'. It absorbs everything. And although there are many nutrients that in excess will simply be excreted from the body, many will not. For one, fat-soluble vitamins and some other things can be stored in fat and build-up to toxic levels. The body, like all of nature, isn't perfect.

I agree, fresh/raw/whole/live foods are all bad ways to attempt proper nutrition. Only a high quality pellet can provide complete and balanced nutrition in every bite. Blindly mixing a hodge podge of whole/raw/frozen foods together, blindly adding a 'supplement', and feeding that is not the way to go.

Ok... any advice one what to do with the fish in the DT other than feeding them the NLS thera A? I treated the danios in a QT for 5 days using marcyn 1 & 2 and I dont know where to go from here. The danios seem better and active... they are eating.

The Ram in the DT has one small white looking spot on his right fin... looks better today. The rams also have some sort of buldge white looking thing under their belly but they seem fine. (im new to rams so that may be normal??) Advice please???

Fishguy2727 said:
What are the numbers for those tests?

Don't soak foods. That is the best way to remove water-soluble vitamins which are vital for their long term health. If you are using a high quality food it will have all the needed vitamins, other micronutrients, and trace elements needed, in the right amounts. Don't go blindly adding supplements (or removing them by soaking the food).

I have been using NLS Thera+A for years with all types of fish, goldfish included. I have not had internal worm problems with them so it seems like the garlic in the NLS Thera+A may be a better, more natural, but still effective way to handle that issue (which I think is just as likely in any type of fish, not just goldfish). I have been dealing with goldfish for years, including on forums and with people completely devoted to them, and can't recall Jungle medicated foods ever coming up, so IME it is not a common or standard thing for them.

Ok so my angels dont like the NLS Thera+a they spit it out. They will eat flakes... Any suggestions? I'm really afraid of them getting sick since I had the danio losses... :( idk I'm wondering if the rams are stressing other fish they are pretty aggressive actually...

You might have to wean them off of flakes and onto the pellets. I've had some fish that didn't take to NLS or other pellets that I've tried, but if you keep offering it and less of the flakes they'll eventually switch

jetajockey said:
You might have to wean them off of flakes and onto the pellets. I've had some fish that didn't take to NLS or other pellets that I've tried, but if you keep offering it and less of the flakes they'll eventually switch

I'm scared they are sick because I think they are getting picky about the flakes now and spitting them a bit. I really hope they aren't. I thought about trying feeding them the pellets only.... I'm just paranoid that they are sick and want to make sure they are eating lol . Thanks for the suggesting. I guess i need to stick to the NLS a little more ...

Back
Top Bottom