Jungle medicated food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it ok to feed My fish medicated food that are in the same tank as ghost shrimp?

I've tried jungle medicated food and the fish just don't eat it, soak it in garlic guard or some kind of garlic to make it more appetizing.

I had some sick fish in my community tank. One died I removed the others showing symptoms and am treating them in a QT. I have 2 angels and 2rams remaining and I wanted to treat them with medicated food incase they have the same thing. I'm Qt five danios that are skinny and had been hiding and not eating. One of the Angels were hiding and not eating as well but he's out swimming around now. I think he was scared since I had to remove all decor to catch the danios. I really don't want to loose them and if it's in internal I'd like to catch it soon.

George9 said:
I've tried jungle medicated food and the fish just don't eat it, soak it in garlic guard or some kind of garlic to make it more appetizing.

Oh ok thanks!

IME quarantine tanks are are worse most of the time. They stress the fish out and almost always have horrible water quality. Stress causes illness, remove the stress and 90% of the time you will remove the illness. Cramming them in to tiny, uncycled tanks with poor decor and bad water quality is a good way to cause stress.

New Life Spectrum Thera+A has enough garlic to kill some parasites, without chemical medications.

Fishguy2727 said:
IME quarantine tanks are are worse most of the time. They stress the fish out and almost always have horrible water quality. Stress causes illness, remove the stress and 90% of the time you will remove the illness. Cramming them in to tiny, uncycled tanks with poor decor and bad water quality is a good way to cause stress.

New Life Spectrum Thera+A has enough garlic to kill some parasites, without chemical medications.

Actually I removed one of the filters from my DT and ammo and nitrite look like they are at zero in my QT and I have two nice plants and cups for hiding. I've been treating the sick danios with marcyn 1&2 bc I'm not exactly sure what is wrong. One of the danios is dying but he was in bad shape whenever I moved him. ( Sunk in belly) The other 4 seem active and like they are Starting to eat. But normally I would agree with u on the QT. luckily I had a filter to spare and my sick fish were danios and not some sort of really sensitive fish. My dilemma now is to know what to do with the remaining fish in the DT. 2 angels and 2 rams. I also have at least 4 ghost shrimp in the tank. I wanted to treat the DT as a preventative just incase it is some internal parasite or bacterial infection.

Today will be day 5 of treatment for the danios.

Symptoms were hiding, not shoaling, not eating. One that died had a crooked or hump back. The one that is dying now is starting to curve and cannot hardly swim but he was extremely skinny so I know he has not strength nor nutrition. Researching looks like it can be anything from NTD fNTD TB Or vitamin deficiency... Bacterial infection or internal parasites... Honestly I have no idea....

Where can get the meds u are talking about and I guess they would be invert safe? Sounds like a better option. Thank u so much...

It isn't a medication, it is a food, one you can safely feed all the time as a preventative. Make sure you do lots of water changes on the QT, ideally daily using the DT's water.

I'm going to try to use the jungle meds to premedicate my next new fish! I heard a lot of good things about jungle meds :)

I wouldn't. Preventative meds is not a good idea. It can create pathogens that are resistant to those meds when you really need them in the future. Meds aren't easy on the fish either, they stress them=not good.

Buy healthy fish, put them in a healthy display tank that is stable, provide high quality food and water, and you will prevent 95% of the problems you would have otherwise come across.

I wouldn't. Preventative meds is not a good idea. It can create pathogens that are resistant to those meds when you really need them in the future. Meds aren't easy on the fish either, they stress them=not good.

Buy healthy fish, put them in a healthy display tank that is stable, provide high quality food and water, and you will prevent 95% of the problems you would have otherwise come across.

I wish I knew what was going on. I do weekly PWCs and was cycled and understocked. I don't even know what the issue is let alone how to treat it. Thanks for all the info on the food.

Its recommended to do this in the puffer world, but I haven't done it with any of my other fishes yet.

You're right about buying healthy fish, keep them in high quality water, and provide a lot of good variety of food soaked in vitamin water (aquarium water with fish vitamin tablets).

Jungle makes 2 different medicated food.

The anti-bacterial food is a mix of anti-biotics. Using this unnecessarily causes bacterial resistance and so preventative use of anti-biotics is strongly discouraged.

There is also Jungle anti-parasitic food. In goldfish world, it is usual practice to give one course of this in QT. Note we are not really using it chronically as a preventative. We are treating a presumed internal parasitic worm. <90%+ or commercial goldfish has intestinal worm.> We give one course of treatment & stop after that. Because worms/protozoa don't mutate as fast as bacteria, AND because we are using a full course of treatment to kill ALL worms, drug resistance had not been a problem. <We do this in cats & dogs as well, the deworming agent is similar to that in Jungle anti-parasite (Praziquental).>

However, shrimp is much closer to worms than fish, and I am not sure if a deworming agent is safe for them!

Fishguy2727 said:
What is the nitrate concentration?

Here are the current parameters
img_1610443_0_de53e91298813ab2cfb0372a932bf297.jpg

What are the numbers for those tests?

Don't soak foods. That is the best way to remove water-soluble vitamins which are vital for their long term health. If you are using a high quality food it will have all the needed vitamins, other micronutrients, and trace elements needed, in the right amounts. Don't go blindly adding supplements (or removing them by soaking the food).

I have been using NLS Thera+A for years with all types of fish, goldfish included. I have not had internal worm problems with them so it seems like the garlic in the NLS Thera+A may be a better, more natural, but still effective way to handle that issue (which I think is just as likely in any type of fish, not just goldfish). I have been dealing with goldfish for years, including on forums and with people completely devoted to them, and can't recall Jungle medicated foods ever coming up, so IME it is not a common or standard thing for them.

Don't soak foods. That is the best way to remove water-soluble vitamins which are vital for their long term health. If you are using a high quality food it will have all the needed vitamins, other micronutrients, and trace elements needed, in the right amounts. Don't go blindly adding supplements (or removing them by soaking the food).

I have been using NLS Thera+A for years with all types of fish, goldfish included. I have not had internal worm problems with them so it seems like the garlic in the NLS Thera+A may be a better, more natural, but still effective way to handle that issue (which I think is just as likely in any type of fish, not just goldfish). I have been dealing with goldfish for years, including on forums and with people completely devoted to them, and can't recall Jungle medicated foods ever coming up, so IME it is not a common or standard thing for them.

0/.25 ammo ( you know how the ammo looks) 0 trites and 5 trates

Fishguy2727 said:

I cant find NLS foods anywhere :((

Look online, in local shops, or even Petco. Even if small shops don't carry it they should be able to order it in for you.

I got frozen raw shrimp, clams, cockle, and mussels that I feed to my fish every other day. Its an added benefit to soak those in good rich vitamin water when thawing. Otherwise, they would be soaked/thawed in regular tank water with no extra vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom