Just fat or perhaps parasites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed Red is looking a little girthy near his tail. It's even on both sides. Am I overindulging my boy or does he have some sort of parasite or ailment I need to take care of?
IMG_1482852835.468753.jpg

Considering how far back on the tail that is, it is not from over eating. Unfortunately, I am not sure what it is... Maybe a weirdly proportionate tumor? Maybe some sort of internal bacterial causing swelling?
If it was me, I might try doing a run of a full spectrum antibiotic to see if any changes happen. Unless somebody else chimes in with a bit more experience on this particular sort of tail chub.

Bigger issues. My boy is hanging on the bottom more as his lumps are slightly bigger. Still on both sides. I treated him with Melafix back when I posted this without a reduction in the swim bladder size.

He is eating live grindal worms. The swelling is not in his stomach or intestines, just an enlarged swim bladder. Here are some new pics. IMG_7499.jpgIMG_7500.jpgIMG_7511.jpgIMG_7516.jpg

Any suggestions on the cause and remedy would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took pic to the LFS last Friday and told to feed peas. He is eating them but still lay on the bottom most of the time. IMG_7633.jpg

I really don't think it's constipation. Any suggestions?

lumps on betta

i would email the betta society and see if they knew what it was there is a breeder on facebook called basement bettas shes been a breeder a long time seen alot contact her she usually answers

The original picture from December looks like the beginning of a bacterial infection.
Further reading on symptoms gets me to internal flagellates...
Flubendazol is what my reading says to cure.
I would read up on this and see how you feel ??

At this point I am ready to try anything. Any suggestions on sources and dose? I have seen some where you soak food or just add to tank water.

No foods...REAL MEDS.
I think the fluben is absorbed not ingested..
Charles is my go to guy .
You can email him your pics and my observations or just let him diagnose.
I roll with what ever he says.
He just helped out another member on my other forum, so he should be reachable...
Tropical Fish Information
Good luck,
Tom

Thank you. I found his email on the site and have sent pics along with info on progression and other attempted treatments.

i would email the betta society and see if they knew what it was there is a breeder on facebook called basement bettas shes been a breeder a long time seen alot contact her she usually answers

Thank you. I was able to join on Facebook and have posted the pics and other info looking for help.

Charles suspects Calum mum mus Nemotoads or something....

Fish won't let me take a pic of his anus for me to email. I don't blame him. Lol.

Have you seen any worms protruding from the fish?
Camallanus takes possibly a month before the worms have grown enough to protrude..
The good news IMO is the levamisole should kill all other internal issues also.

I have never seen any red worms. But Red is all flowing red fins down there and I cannot see to be positive. I ordered the meds from Charles and going to treat. Keep my fingers crossed. My boy just lays around about 98% of the time. Only swims to grab a snack. IMG_7661.jpg

Got the meds yesterday and started the treatment. I really hope he bounces back. I can imagine laying on the bottom is an enriching life.

I finished the first round of treatment last night and did the huge water change. So far no signs of improvement [emoji17]

I was told that within a few hours he might have responded.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Did you notice anything unusual being expelled from him?
I am honestly glad he survived treatment.
It is all too often in cases like this and with meds as strong as this that the treatment can be the straw to break the camels back...
Hopefully he will show some sign of improvement.

I did not see anything expelled. But honestly I have not had time to watch him for that 72 hours [emoji12]

I vacuumed into a white bucket and poured all the funk into a fine net and then floated it so I could look for anything that resembled a worm. No luck.

I signed up for the Betta Society on Facebook and it was suggested that I raise the temp to 80-85 for a week to see if he improves. I recall a few illnesses like ick where temps are used so I am slowly increasing his temp. He is usually at 77 and I am shooting for 81-82. In the summer here the tanks can get that warm and I have never seen it adversely affect the fish so I figure it's worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom