Just Moved - Discus laying on side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,

Just finished a complete teardown and relocation of my 75 gallon discus tank.

brought over 30 gallons of water. Kept the Discus in a 20 gallon Rubbermaid trash bin (new) and a 100 watt heater and a small filter attached to a UPS during the move. It never turned off.

Replaced the Substrate (eco Complete) added 10 gallons of water Gently (on a bucket lid) and replanted. Then, Filled tank half way with tap water, 15-20ml Dechlorinator, and 10ml of Excel Flourish.

Bucket with discus had 100 watt heater and small (5 gal) filter that had been running in tank for 2 months before teardown.

The Tank temp after setup was 82. The bucket with fish temp was 82.

Nitrates in bucket - 0
Nitrates in Tank after it settled for 30 minutes - 5ppm
Zero Ammonia, Nitrite.

PH in tank - 8.2 (but fresh tapwater may have skewed this)
PH in Bucket - 8.3

ONE discus is laying on its side, chilling, with side fin holding him still.

Lights are off. Ambient light is low/medium ( a 20 watt lamp)

Any idea's what I can do to make his recover better?

I only lost one Cardinal tetra so far, and Its because he went unnoticed as I was draining the tank and stirring up the substrate. (probably nitrate/poop overload)

Timeline: Discus came out of tank at 7:30PM. Filter unplugged at 8:00
Filter plugged back in at 9:30pm
Discus returned at 10:00PM after water tests passed.

Thanks.

Note, I don't have a computer set up yet, (using a friends) so I'll be reading responses on my phone, its a PITA to type so My replies may be short winded!

Thanks for any responses!

He seems to be better. I almost wonder if he was playing dead after the trauma of being moved.

Fingers crossed. Once I pass the 48 hour mark without a crash I'll be happier.

Woot. This morning, all fish are looking good. They are clearly freaked out from the change of scenery, and "run" away at any movement. I'm assuming it'll be a week or two before they welcome contact. (they normally swim up towards you when you approach the tank. Now they hide.

Checking the parameters once a day for hints of a crash. I hope I'm through the worst of it! :)

I Brought the lights over from the old place. When I turned them on, All the fish were laying on their sides by plants/driftwood. I was super confused, i did a full water test, everything was within parameters, Very confused!

Took me a while to realize that my LED's were cranked to max - That was their way of Hiding now that I have fewer plants from the teardown. Once I turned the LED's off and just had my T5HO's running, they came out. One discus is looking stressed - not black, but Pale, with very little color. He's eating though, so I'm sure he'll bounce back.

All and All - a good move!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom