Keep loosing fish. Everything checks out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I noticed i'm getting some brown algae and one of my harlequins has bulgy eye and kind of seems to have a white film on him

Bulgy eye and white film sounds like pop eye. Which is either due to a bacterial or fungal infection.

Yeah I read up in that but how do I figure out what to treat them with since I don't know what disease/infection they have.

And the Buldgy eye one just died. Am I really going to loose hundreds of dollars of fish and never know why? This might just cause me to give up if they all die

Im sorry but im at a loss as to how exactly to treat mine as well.
And dont give up! It can get better and you will be able to have happy healthy fish

A white film is a bacterial infection. Usually columnaris but can be something different. Pop eye is from bacteria as well. The fish that cant close its mouth is a red flag for me. Columnaris usually effects the mouth area. Turn the temperature of the tank down to 70-72F and add 1 tablespoon if salt per 5 gallons of tank water. Dissolve it in a container if tank water and add 1/4 of the solution every 6-12 hours. Remove any visibly infected fish to quarantine or cull them to try and avoid infecting others. Usually an antibiotic that treats gram negative bacteria is needed. What country are you in?

Mumma.of.two said:
A white film is a bacterial infection. Usually columnaris but can be something different. Pop eye is from bacteria as well. The fish that cant close its mouth is a red flag for me. Columnaris usually effects the mouth area. Turn the temperature of the tank down to 70-72F and add 1 tablespoon if salt per 5 gallons of tank water. Dissolve it in a container if tank water and add 1/4 of the solution every 6-12 hours. Remove any visibly infected fish to quarantine or cull them to try and avoid infecting others. Usually an antibiotic that treats gram negative bacteria is needed. What country are you in?

I'm in the us. I live in Illinois.

My tank is always at 82° and my house is usually 72°. Should I just unplug my heaters and let it go to room temp?

Leave them plugged in but turn them down to 72. If for some reason your house drops in temp the tank won't then. Your in the US so you can can antibiotics (can't in UK or Aus). If the salt and heat doesn't stop it you'll have to purchase a product like maracyn 2 to see if that helps. You can combine it with maracyn 1 I'm fairly sure. That's way almost everything is covered.

Mumma.of.two said:
Leave them plugged in but turn them down to 72. If for some reason your house drops in temp the tank won't then. Your in the US so you can can antibiotics (can't in UK or Aus). If the salt and heat doesn't stop it you'll have to purchase a product like maracyn 2 to see if that helps. You can combine it with maracyn 1 I'm fairly sure. That's way almost everything is covered.

I'll check into them tomorrow. Thanks for the help. U thing it could have been brought in by the gbrs I had gotten a week ago that had died?

Yes, you can combine it safely with maracyn 1, maracide, coppersafe, and maroxy. (not that you should all at the same time)

Joe5688 said:
I'll check into them tomorrow. Thanks for the help. U thing it could have been brought in by the gbrs I had gotten a week ago that had died?
No problem. Keep us posted on how you go.
It's quite possible they did. That's why it's always a good idea to quarantine new fish.

Back
Top Bottom