Killifish with a Lip String

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joanjettson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My killifish (one of two) has what looks like peeling skin hanging off of its lip. It seems otherwise healthy. It is not scratching or trying to remove it. It is very calm and it still eats, though not as much as the other killifish. The little string looks white or clear, and for a while I thought it was down to just a little dot on the lip, but today it's back to being a string (picture attached).

I treated for bacteria (Maracyn 2) and fungus (Pimafix) for 10 days and everything seems fine EXCEPT this string won't go away. Wondering if it's a parasite, a tear in its lip, or what? Should I try another medicine or just continue water changes and see if it goes away on its own? Luckily the fish seems stable, but of course I want it to get all the way better.

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you!

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. pH 6.6, ammonia is 0, temp is 78F, nitrites/nitrates 0

3~ The tank is 25 gallons Nanocube, established many years.

4~ Built in filter.

5~ 12 fish + live plants. One large pleco, one mature loach, 3 cories, 3 rio tetras, 2 honey gouramies, and the 2 killifish.

6~ Water changed 25% every 3 days for past 10 days. Before that I was on vacation for 2 weeks.

7~Fish has been here since September.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--no.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Fish get a mix of flakes, pellets, dried bloodworms. The diet changed while I was away to the vacation feeders.

Attachments

• killifish lip.jpg
    killifish lip.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom