King Betta with Internal Parasite and Dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toadsrbutch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi, I have a giant (king) betta who I’ve had for roughly 8 or 9 months, purchased from Petco. recently he hasn’t been doing too hot. I think some plants I bought a few months ago were contaminated with some kind of worms and he has had white worms hanging from his vent on and off. I had thought it cleared up but they were back this morning (08/18). additionally, he was acting lethargic two days ago and so I added aquarium salt and performed a water change. today he has slight signs of dropsy but he is back to his active self.

he is in a 10 gallon with a few snails, 1 amano shrimp, lots of plants, and it is kept between 78 and 80 degrees. ammonia was 0.0 ppm this morning, pH was ~8.1 (which while not ideal, doesn’t look like it would be too bad + tap water was very similar). I’ll be testing nitrates and nitrites later to make sure everything is okay.

as for a question: should I try treating the dropsy first and then the parasites? I don’t want to get my hopes up but he isn’t pine-coning too badly yet. any advice and/or input would be appreciated thank you!

Back
Top Bottom