Lack of oxygen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michlol101

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my Malawi cichlids in my juwel rio 180 at night after I turn the aereator off always are gasping for air at the top of my tank and I can't keep it on because its in my room and too loud

Maybe e they are trying to keep you awake. lol jk

you can get a power head and aim it at the surface of the water, a canister filter will work as well. With a hob filter you'll need to lower the water level.

+1 on what Andrew said. but i find it hard to believe that your fish need to come up for air. you sure nothing's wrong with the fish? water should have some level of oxygen in it already therefore it doesn't make sense, to me at least.

+1 on what Andrew said. but i find it hard to believe that your fish need to come up for air. you sure nothing's wrong with the fish? water should have some level of oxygen in it already therefore it doesn't make sense, to me at least.

I agree, the water should hold dissolved oxygen for a decent period of time after the aerator has been turned off.

Back
Top Bottom