Large 3.5 year old common goldfish --severe fin rot--

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
All params pass, recent water changes, how do I treat it? Most likely came in with a new common Goldie last week.

Is this your fish? A store fish? I am not quite clear as you mention it may have come with another goldfish but you know it's 3.5 yrs old.

How big is he? What size tank? Exact parameters? A picture will help to see what is going on!

If it came on another fish surely that fish has it too?

Fin rot can be prevented in most case just by keeping clean water. If a sick fish arises in one of my tanks (never) unless new fish like yourself, an obligatory 50% change always follows.

As jlk asked, your water parameters are important.

I don't have exact params, and this is for a girl I know who is asking me about it cuz she knows about my big tank. The fish's fins are pretty much just fraying and bits are falling off. And I already prescribed a water change, and she agreed to change like 100% of it, so I was just like, OKAAAAY THEN. And I wasn't entirely sire how to proceed.

Well did you tell her 100% could shock them to death if the water in the tank has vastly different parameters to the tap water?

Without knowing anything about her tank, fish, stock, parameters ect i can only personally suggest clean water and a fin rot medication.

Seems to be the season for fin rot sadly.

I wasn't careful about washing my instruments and I managed to afflict one of my oldest fancies with a bad case of fin rot that rode in with some new fish - they didn't show signs of it, but given that so many illnesses in the aquarium are opportunistic, I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

Clean water, low stress, and the proper medications (I use the appropriate API meds for most things) are all you can do.

With Goldfish , the tank or pond size plays a factor also. If the tank is too small, even with filtration the waste will build up too fast and you'll get sick fish.

Big tanks , big filtration, big water changes will keep Fancies healthy. Commons or Comets almost always need a Pond.

She's got it with 2 other small fish in a 30g. I think. And what medicarions?

She's got it with 2 other small fish in a 30g. I think. And what medications?

Furan-2 will treat gram positive and negative bacterial infections. There's also KanaPlex from Seachem that is often used in conjunction with Furan-2.

How rapid is the fin rot? I've seen cases where severe and fast rot was thought to be a columnaris infection, in which case it needs to be treated aggressively.

My oldest fancy is in quarantine right now for fin rot and is being treated with Furan-2 + Kanaplex.

The decay was super rapid for mine - one night, fine. Next morning, large sections of fin were rotting away. I tried melafix + pimafix and it slowed the problem down a litte, but when I switched over the Furan + Kanaplex the problem stopped in its tracks, it seems. The day following dose #1 the rot has not progressed further and the fins are returning to a normal color along the damaged areas.

I've only had to deal with fin rot like twice before so this current experience is about all the help I can offer.

Back
Top Bottom