Large white blemish on catfish (pictures)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gui101do

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a fairly young featherfin catfish (upside-down catfish, squeaker catfish, synodontis eupterus) that has developed a white spot on him. The fish has no other spots nor signs of being ill. No other fish in the tank show any signs of being ill, either.

As of now, temperature is at 79. I have been doing weekly water changes and all parameters appear normal.

Could it be an abrasion?

Here are a few photos:

DSC02039.JPG

DSC02041.JPG

It looks like it's not related to your water quality, it must have hurt itself on something. This might not be possible for you but the catfish will do much better in sand. It's not necessary though, although it is proven that freshwater catfish in sand live longer than freshwater catfish in gravel. I just wanted to bring that to you attention not sure if you know It just wanted to let you be aware that if possible you should considering switching to sand. Or at least a smooth pebble type gravel. It's injury probably didn't have anything to do with substrate just thought I would share that with you. It looks like it scraped itself on something. It should heal itself or shouldn't pose any problems. If your really concerned try some aloe Vera water conditioner. Don't use anything with salt they will not tolerate much salt. Also remember a bunch of meds shouldn't be used if not needed they can do more harm than good.

Syno. catfish are boistrous and a scrape against a rock can happen. With good water quality, it will heal up no problems. Melafix is a good measure if you deem it necessary.

It may or may not return to its original colour, but I doubt any permanent damage would occur.

Syno. catfish are from the African rift lakes, salt shouldn't be a problem.

Phew, that is a relief. In doing a little bit more research, I wonder if he may have been burned by the heater? I guess sometimes they could be hanging out to close them and get torched that way.

Thanks for the thoughts, I appreciate it, I am very glad it does not appear to be some sort of ailment.

Back
Top Bottom